Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Can or do you live on an income below 40,000 with no support from anyone/welfare?

Posted by on May. 14, 2013 at 1:21 PM
  • 185 Replies

It seems like it would be impossible!

by on May. 14, 2013 at 1:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alouya21
by Member on May. 14, 2013 at 1:25 PM

me and my husband is doing it now, we make a little over $1,400 a month without any help from family or food stamps, so that is a little over $17,000 a year. trust me it is hard and yes some months we go with out food for half of the month. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 14, 2013 at 1:36 PM
My dd and her boyfriend, no kids, live very well on $40,000. Both have new cars also.
Depends on how many kids you are trying to support. I say get 2 jobs each.
My dd makes $16,000 waiting tables part time.
kourtneya
by on May. 14, 2013 at 3:28 PM
2 moms liked this
It's very possible. Dh makes less than that and supports a family of four.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stephd710
by Member on May. 14, 2013 at 5:29 PM
3 moms liked this

What???  Of course its possible!  I live (me and my two girls) on my income, which last year was about $24,000.  I get $376 a month in CS, but that still doesnt bump up my income that much.  I would LOVE to live off $40,000 right now! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 14, 2013 at 11:48 PM
1 mom liked this

We have less- a LOT less- than that coming in including welfare, food stamps and my student loans which barely cover school.

So yeah, you can figure it out even without welfare.

Saharra
by Member on May. 15, 2013 at 6:23 AM
We live off of wayyyy less then that. It's really hard with huge medical issues (think about a house payment in medical supplies each month), and two kids. And food costs keep rising. Our house and cars are payed off though and that helps out a TON.
grandmotherof6
by Member on May. 15, 2013 at 7:47 AM

I do now

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 15, 2013 at 8:46 AM

It's not impossible. It's not fun, but it's not impossible, at least not in AL. My husband and I have two children and for many years, he was the sole breadwinner earning just under $40K/year. We lived on mostly ramen, hot dogs, and macaroni, but we lived without assistance from anyone.

Karopie_99
by Member on May. 15, 2013 at 10:15 AM
2 moms liked this
Not under 40k a yr. But close. SO makes about 44k a yr we have 2 kids and 1 on the way. 2 vehicles and a roof over our head, clothes on our backs and foos in our bellies. Not the life of luxury or anything. But we do have nice things. And we do have family fun days and things like that. We do put a few bucks into savings each week as well. So when something happens with a vehicle, an emergency, need oil to heat our home. Its there. Not a huge amount but a little cushion is never bad
nicolee0821
by on May. 15, 2013 at 10:24 AM
I made less than 10k last year by myself with one kid. I had someone else helping me pay bills.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)