Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

should we get a sphinx cat?

Posted by on May. 15, 2013 at 12:35 PM
  • 3 Replies
Did I spell that right? Anyway, my dh is a MAJOR cat person. I have never met a GUY who is such a cat person. He had a cat that he loved very much, but it died before I met him. Once, also before I met dh., we tried to adopt a kitten. Turns out, d.d. is allergic. She was sick for a few days from it while I tried desperately to re-home the kitten. Finally, in desperation, we had to take it to the shelter. :( However, d.d. kept having more and more trouble breathing throughout that day. She started to turn blue, and we left her 5th b-day party to rush her to the E.R. turns out, despite being told to keep her distance from the cat, she would hug and kiss it when nobody was looking, and she got a tiny piece of cat dander or something inside her esophagus. We were there for many hours before she was able to get enough oxygen without them having her ON oxygen.

D.h. is always saying he wants to get a cat. Of course, I tell him about what happened to d.d., and that she's allergic, and he says he thinks she's probably outgrown it, *eye roll*. I have heard that sphinx cats don't cause allergic reactions, but they are ugly and expensive and not so furry and cuddly as other cats, which is probably why when I mention that if he wants a cat that bad we can get a sphinx d.h. says no. Still, I was thinking, maybe if I just get him one for father's day he will be happy and fall in love with it despite it's Mr. Bigglesworth- like appearance. Opinions? Info about Sphinx cats? Are they truly non allergenic? I can't risk another episode with d.d.
by on May. 15, 2013 at 12:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
loisl25
by on May. 15, 2013 at 2:04 PM
Bump
Saharra
by Member on May. 15, 2013 at 4:29 PM
Here's the thing with allergies and cats- you can make it so nobody is allergic, but it's kinda difficult. My brother in law is horribly allergic. His wife wanted a cat so they went and got a brown tabby and thought they could keep it outside (another idea!). She couldn't stand it being out in the winter so they brought it in. They have it baths every week to wash the dust from the cat spit off. They vaccum twice a day. But he, my hubby that is very allergic, her mom and everyone cannot tell there is a cat in the house. Even cuddling with him.
It's when cats groom that the spit will dry and turn into "dander". That is what actually causes the allergy.
loisl25
by on May. 15, 2013 at 5:36 PM
Thanks. I've thought about doing that, just washing the cat often, but after what happened, I just can't risk it.

Quoting Saharra:

Here's the thing with allergies and cats- you can make it so nobody is allergic, but it's kinda difficult. My brother in law is horribly allergic. His wife wanted a cat so they went and got a brown tabby and thought they could keep it outside (another idea!). She couldn't stand it being out in the winter so they brought it in. They have it baths every week to wash the dust from the cat spit off. They vaccum twice a day. But he, my hubby that is very allergic, her mom and everyone cannot tell there is a cat in the house. Even cuddling with him.

It's when cats groom that the spit will dry and turn into "dander". That is what actually causes the allergy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)