Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

What would YOU do if your kid were called a "freak" in his yearbook?

Posted by on May. 16, 2013 at 10:10 AM
  • 55 Replies

Mom Whose Kid Was Described as a 'Freak' in Yearbook Overreacts Big Time (VIDEO)

by Jeanne Sager

Dylan WorthenIt's the question of the decade. How far should schools go to stomp out bullying? Should a school, for example, confiscate 900-some yearbooks, destroy them, and print new books ... all because one student was called a mean name on one page of the book? That's what the mom of a teenager called a "freak" in a caption of his marching band photo wants.

Dylan Worthen's name was adjusted by someone prior to the printing of the South Paulding High School yearbook this year. Every book purchased by students at South Paulding features a photo of the 16-year-old with the addition of "freak" as a second last name.

It's cruel. It's awful. But does that mean the school should shoulder the burden of printing new books?

I don't mean to be insensitive.

If my daughter were labeled a freak in her yearbook, I don't doubt that I'd be right where Dylan Worthen's mom is, shaking my fist and demanding things be put right.

But my daughter wasn't, and I'm not.

And so my view isn't clouded by a personal bias that makes it hard to see the bigger picture.

Her son was bullied, and the kids responsible should be brought to heel for it. They should be punished. 

But how far should this school go? What does zero tolerance really mean?

We are finally at a point in society where school bullying has gone mainstream, so to speak, and we're really talking about it. No longer are we telling kids that they need to buck up and deal with it.

As a formerly bullied kid and mom of a kid who started dealing with bullies in pre-school, I'm glad to see schools taking action. But we need to be careful not to swing too far in the other direction.

Common sense must prevail!

What happened to Dylan Worthen was awful. It sucks.

But in the scheme of things, being called a "freak" in your high school yearbook is not the worst thing that could happen. Some kids saw it and probably laughed. Most probably saw it and rolled their eyes.

The real damage is if the kids who did it get away with it and aren't punished. If that happens, then ... well, isn't that enough?

Surely it's not bad enough to require a school district spend thousands of dollars on re-printing a yearbook. Thousands of dollars that could be spent on educating kids?

What do you think the school should do here? Is it enough just to punish the kids?

CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO

by on May. 16, 2013 at 10:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nurse1997
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2013 at 10:25 AM

This is sad,  and the children should be punished but as far as reprinting the books my brother owns a printing company and  to reprint that many books would be almost 20,000 whos gonna pay for that the schools are in debt  and parnets wont pay again for new books. All printing is checked for a final proof by the customer  the school should of caught it while they looked over proofs . Schools have become a station for bullying even though they try to stop it  on a daily basis someones  kid is dreading going to school because they are afraid they are gonna be picked on at school and its really sad !

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by on May. 16, 2013 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this

At the very least I could see them printing a new book for him and his family.

It's a tough call.  I think the kids should be punished, but who was the teacher in charge of the final proof read?  I know my teacher locked up the yearbook and proofed it himself for days before sending it to print.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 16, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Not after printed unless the Mom wants to pay. Where was this printed in the book it doesn't give context. Sadly they are probably called something worse every day in life.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lili0509
by on May. 16, 2013 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Isn't a teacher supposed to be monitoring the yearbooks before they even have the finished product? Making sure there's no mistakes and such?

RUCRIOUS925
by on May. 16, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I think the school yearbook staff should have done a bteer job at reviewing the content that was going to print. Freedom of speech is wonderful and we are blessed to have such rights but in a school setting there should be some rules. I can't go on my office news letter and start calling people jerks. Poor judgment was used all around smh....

Tracylynn100
by on May. 16, 2013 at 11:22 AM
7 moms liked this

Whomever is responsible for the "freak" being added should pay the cost of reprinting.  Students who did it could work at the school doing janitorial work or something until it is paid

kitty8199
by Nicole on May. 16, 2013 at 11:26 AM
1 mom liked this
I think the person who added it should get in trouble.
Aren't there anti bully laws.
Reprint and have that kid(s) pay restitution to cover costs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SavdNSanctified
by on May. 16, 2013 at 11:28 AM
Yes they should reprint them, mainly because they should have reviewed them before allowing them to be published. So they deserve punishment too.
nurbabe82
by Member on May. 16, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Quoting SavdNSanctified:

Yes they should reprint them, mainly because they should have reviewed them before allowing them to be published. So they deserve punishment too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 16, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Who let it make it all the way to be printed in the first place?!?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)