Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Don't judge ADHD if you don't understand it!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 42 Replies

I am soooo frustrated when people assume that i couldnt handle my child and so i went to his pediatrician and started drugging him up.  ds's teacher called me this today to tell my that his medicine is not working and he is unable to concentrate during his end of the year tests. Normally his medicine works perfectly and he does very well at school but he is going through a growth spurt and that can mess everything up......so i went to school to give him another medicine that would work with the original medicine. i was in the offic e signing in and another mother saw his pill bottle and asked if my son was sick, i told her no that he has adhd and i was brining him his medicine. Well i should have known better than to say that because then she goes on to tell me that in her opinion there is no such thing as adhd, parents are just to lazy to discipline their children so the drug them up and make them zombies.  ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!!! I could have bitch slapped that woman right there.

Now let me get this striaght, i hate having to medicate my  son. I hate the fact that he has a psychiatrist at 6 years old. I hate the fact that he has to see a behavioral therapist, and i hat e the fact that he is judged for something he has no contol over.  adhd is something that he can overcome, he is doing really well working with his therapist on concentration techniques, and since starting his medicine his is on honor roll. He has a ton of friends and is busy after school with sports. None of that was possible before his medicine!

Posted by Anonymous on May. 17, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Saharra
by Member on May. 17, 2013 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this
You gotta do what you gotta do. My DS has ADHD as well. I've thought about trying to remove gluten and red dye 40 from his diet to help. Have you tried it? I just don't know if it would work.... I've also heard biking helps (the repetitive motion) Having a rubber band in their hands (to stretch and keep them busy), bubble gum, Mountain Dew (because the caffeine has a reverse effect) I don't know if those help or not, but they do help with my DS. I'm trying to not have to do the meds, but if you need to, you need to. He has to do what it takes to be able to get through school.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 17, 2013 at 12:21 PM

I try and keep his diet as natural as possible, with very little preservatives, dyes, and artificial sweeteners. I have never heard about the caffeine, the thought of giving him caffeine scares me( he is hyper enough as is ;). )  i hadn't thought about the biking but his therapist had told me the repetitive motion of swimming helps, so now we do laps every afternoon. Medicine was the last thing i wanted for him but it was necessary for school, he went from getting c's and d's in kindergarten to straight a's now  in first grade.

lady-J-Rock
by Member on May. 17, 2013 at 2:25 PM
My husband has ADHD. Caffeine helps quite a bit. The medication he takes other people take because it gives them energy.

Quoting Anonymous:

I try and keep his diet as natural as possible, with very little preservatives, dyes, and artificial sweeteners. I have never heard about the caffeine, the thought of giving him caffeine scares me( he is hyper enough as is ;). )  i hadn't thought about the biking but his therapist had told me the repetitive motion of swimming helps, so now we do laps every afternoon. Medicine was the last thing i wanted for him but it was necessary for school, he went from getting c's and d's in kindergarten to straight a's now  in first grade.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 17, 2013 at 2:43 PM

yeah thats true! I know his medicine is a upper i guess its just the thought of giving a already hyper child some caffeine that make me cringe. Does your husband still really struggle with adhd or is he managing it well? I always worry about what his future will be like with adhd.

Quoting lady-J-Rock:

My husband has ADHD. Caffeine helps quite a bit. The medication he takes other people take because it gives them energy.

Quoting Anonymous:

my4boys2002
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 2:47 PM
Some ppl just don't understand I get a bunch of crap my son has adhd and bipolar. We keep a natural diet so his meds are only helping us treat his mental illness
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lady-J-Rock
by Member on May. 17, 2013 at 3:01 PM

It's kind of  an odd situation because his mother was told he had some issues she chose to ignore the Doctors and the teachers. He never learned the proper way to cope. He was in the Army no issues, holds a steady job. He was diagnosed with it a year or.so ago at 30. It's helped quite a bit.   He has another issue that's being looked into as well. 

Quoting Anonymous:

yeah thats true! I know his medicine is a upper i guess its just the thought of giving a already hyper child some caffeine that make me cringe. Does your husband still really struggle with adhd or is he managing it well? I always worry about what his future will be like with adhd.

Quoting lady-J-Rock:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 17, 2013 at 3:04 PM

im glad a natural diet is helping your son! changing my ds diet didnt help that much but we stay with a natural diet to be healthier. I just get frustrated when people assume that i dont want to handle my child, they don't understand that his medicine is normally worn off by the time he gets home from school and he normally has a surge of energy once it has worn off. So i get the full blown adhd experience everyday! ;)

Quoting my4boys2002:

Some ppl just don't understand I get a bunch of crap my son has adhd and bipolar. We keep a natural diet so his meds are only helping us treat his mental illness

mayzell
by on May. 17, 2013 at 3:10 PM

I have often wonder if my son has something like adhd?

He can get out of control from time to time, he is seven and every school year gets a little harder.

As a parent you have to do what  you feel is best for your child and your relationship with your child.

Sometimes when you cant handle them.. it can get hard to handle yourself and your own frustration.. Taking them to a professional can help you to help your child.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 17, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Well i'm glad he's now getting the help he needs! I wanted to ignore the teachers but i knew that it wouldnt be fair to my son in the long run. Getting him diagnosed was a really long process but i am so glad that we did it.

Quoting lady-J-Rock:

It's kind of  an odd situation because his mother was told he had some issues she chose to ignore the Doctors and the teachers. He never learned the proper way to cope. He was in the Army no issues, holds a steady job. He was diagnosed with it a year or.so ago at 30. It's helped quite a bit.   He has another issue that's being looked into as well. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting lady-J-Rock:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 17, 2013 at 3:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Finding out that my son has adhd was really hard at first but once we started working with a therapist i realized that it can be managed. I feel like i am getting my son back, and  with his medicine and his therapy combined he has stopped getting so frustrated and is a much happier kid. he grades have greatly improved and he has made so many friends this year. A few week ago he had told me that when he doesnt take his medicine its like his brain is a tv and some keeps changing the channel but with the medicine he now has the remote lol.

Quoting mayzell:

I have often wonder if my son has something like adhd?

He can get out of control from time to time, he is seven and every school year gets a little harder.

As a parent you have to do what  you feel is best for your child and your relationship with your child.

Sometimes when you cant handle them.. it can get hard to handle yourself and your own frustration.. Taking them to a professional can help you to help your child.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)