Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Head Lice

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies

I know another post. I am sick of having to deal with this this is twice this year. We have never had it before this past summer now I find it again. I used the

Lice shampoo last time this time I am going the natural route. I spent over $200.00 last time and over a month of working my tail off to get rid of it and working besides. So, I doused our hair in Listerine put on shower caps and slept in it, this morning I rinsed that out and stuck Apple cider vinegar in our hair and then used Coconut conditioner and combed out our hair. I have done all the bedding, pillows, blankets, coats we have worn, clothes and the dryer is still going.

Is there anything else I can do or am I on the right track?

I will do our hair again tomorrow and the next few days as well as do the bedding again etc most of this week.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 18, 2013 at 4:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Coastiesgirl
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2013 at 4:31 PM
Mayonnaise. Leave it in overnight then wash with dish soap in the morning. It smothers them. Good luck. I delt with it three times last year. Spray the mattresses with the lice spray and the couches.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 18, 2013 at 4:33 PM
Picking out nits is a must. Spent night after night doing that.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 18, 2013 at 4:49 PM
Quoting Coastiesgirl:

Mayonnaise. Leave it in overnight then wash with dish soap in the morning. It smothers them. Good luck. I delt with it three times last year. Spray the mattresses with the lice spray and the couches.
Thanks I'll try that next.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 18, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Picking out nits is a must. Spent night after night doing that.

I know that's the hard part doing it night after night good thing work comes to an end in 3 days not like last time I had to do this and work.

nikkichris612
by on May. 18, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Ugh.  I feel your pain.  My daughter actually had it 3 times in one year.  We had to call the health dept on the school.  Awful.  Anyway, tea tree oil works miracles to get rid of lice as well as prevent it.  For prevention you put a few drops in your shampoo bottle.  It repels the lice.  Also, using liquid fabric softener on the hair when combing out the nits helps a lot.  Good luck!!

CrossStitchMum
by Member on May. 19, 2013 at 3:39 AM

The only thing that really works is washing all the bedding ect, and then douse the hair with conditioner, any brand of type, as thick as you can and then take the lice comb, a strong metal 1 if youve got 1, and a whole roll of paper towel. brush the comb through the hair and after every swipe of the comb through thehair, wipe it on the paper towel, making sure to kill anything live, until youve done every bit of the hair (it took my MIL and SIL 4 hrs to brush out my DS and DDs hair) making sure that there is not 1 egg or live lice left. Once you are sure that you are all lice/egg free, spray the kids hair with aerogard, especially around the ears and the nape as thats where you will find lice love, and all over with hairspray. Do this EVERY DAY,before school or other outings where you know they will be mingling with kids.

I struggled against lice for 3 months until MIL and SIL did this (and they said if I didnt let them they were going to CPS) and Ive now stuck to the aeroguard/hairspray routine and we've never got them back

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 19, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Quoting CrossStitchMum:

The only thing that really works is washing all the bedding ect, and then douse the hair with conditioner, any brand of type, as thick as you can and then take the lice comb, a strong metal 1 if youve got 1, and a whole roll of paper towel. brush the comb through the hair and after every swipe of the comb through thehair, wipe it on the paper towel, making sure to kill anything live, until youve done every bit of the hair (it took my MIL and SIL 4 hrs to brush out my DS and DDs hair) making sure that there is not 1 egg or live lice left. Once you are sure that you are all lice/egg free, spray the kids hair with aerogard, especially around the ears and the nape as thats where you will find lice love, and all over with hairspray. Do this EVERY DAY,before school or other outings where you know they will be mingling with kids.

I struggled against lice for 3 months until MIL and SIL did this (and they said if I didnt let them they were going to CPS) and Ive now stuck to the aeroguard/hairspray routine and we've never got them back

What is areogaurd? I have never heard of that. Thats' how I think I got it last year I started letting my hair grow out trying the new hairstyle everyone is wearing. I stopped using hair spray. Then I have continued to let it grow out hating every minute of it. I finally cut it back to what I had worn for years. Now, I will be using hairspray again. Thanks for the tips. Too long of a process.

CrossStitchMum
by Member on May. 19, 2013 at 10:37 AM

It seems to take forever but its worth it. We spent $100's in the 3 months of trying to get rid of them. Aeroguard is well, whatever you call the spray you use to keep away mosquitos or sandflies. Head lice cant stand it either :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting CrossStitchMum:

What is areogaurd? I have never heard of that. Thats' how I think I got it last year I started letting my hair grow out trying the new hairstyle everyone is wearing. I stopped using hair spray. Then I have continued to let it grow out hating every minute of it. I finally cut it back to what I had worn for years. Now, I will be using hairspray again. Thanks for the tips. Too long of a process.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 19, 2013 at 5:01 PM
ACV isn't quite acidic enough to really loosen the eggs. Try regular white vinegar. Also, I found that olive oil worked better than mayo. It's easier to really saturate the hair with the olive oil.

Good luck. It really is such a pain!
Texascandee
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2013 at 7:02 PM

I used to have to do that when my daughter was in school.  I spent a ton of money on the lice shampoo and spray but I heard that mayonnaise and olive oil work if you put it on the hair and leave it overnight.  Good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)