Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Should young kids be on Facebook?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 48 Replies

My sister's 9yo son has a Facebook account and he's had the account for a couple of years now.

Do you think young kids should be on Facebook, even if their parents okay it and let them lie to get around the 13yo age requirement?

Posted by Anonymous on May. 20, 2013 at 9:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dtm1491
by on May. 20, 2013 at 9:58 AM
3 moms liked this

Never. I actually had a 9 year old girl tell me to watch my mouth that there were kids on there! In a bullying group. Really? I don't even agree with 13. There is too much adult content.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 20, 2013 at 10:01 AM
1 mom liked this
No, that is why they have an age limit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 20, 2013 at 10:10 AM
1 mom liked this

No. Rule in our household is high school, and even then we have to have their password.

Texascandee
by on May. 20, 2013 at 11:09 AM
2 moms liked this

No, no way would I let a child have a FB account until at least 14-15 and then it would be monitored

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 20, 2013 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this

No, facebook is a pedophile's dream. I know three on the registered sex offender list that have fb pages, and reporting them does nothing, they come back the following week with a different spelling of their name.

dalbax2
by on May. 20, 2013 at 11:59 AM
2 moms liked this

Nice parenting on your sister's part.  Teach the kid to lie to get around the rules.  That being said....

Should be at least 15 IMO w/ parental monitoring.  There are some ADULTS that shouldn't be on Facebook either but you can't fix stupid.

panther79
by Member on May. 20, 2013 at 12:07 PM

nope no way. too many pedophiles and other nasty people.

Marimaru
by on May. 20, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Nope.  If nothing else, you're teaching your kid that it's okay to lie to get whatever you want.  

Cindy18
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Not even a little bit OK in my book. 

It's teaching your kids to lie and that rules only apply if you agree with them.

The rules are there for a reason.

princesskt
by on May. 20, 2013 at 4:39 PM
1 mom liked this

My son is on FB BUT he only has family and close friends of the family on his list.  A lot of our relatives live far away and they enjoy seeing pictures and other updates from him.  He VERY VERY rarely goes on and when he does it's monitored..I actually usually type for him and he tells me what to say. 

I don't remember lying about his age though??  I'm not doubting anybody, just think it's odd that I would overlook that.  I thought maybe I put my bday, but it says his birthday just not the year. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN