Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Which language would you choose?

Posted by on May. 20, 2013 at 1:03 PM
  • 11 Replies

My son has the option to drop music class next year and choose a foreign language for 3rd grade. His options are French, Spanish, German or Latin. I am leaning towards Latin or German because I feel like Spanish and French are commonly offered high school classes. Which language would you choose and why?

by on May. 20, 2013 at 1:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 20, 2013 at 1:07 PM
Useful later??? Spanish or French. Latin is a dead language but helps with vocab and Sat or Act scores.
Mine chose Spanish in 3rd grade.
You want them to continue and not start and stop languages.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 20, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Spanish since there are so many that speak it and seem to want it to be the "language" here in the US

nodramamama311
by on May. 20, 2013 at 1:12 PM
Spanish. Would be most useful in the U.S, in my opinion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Chirinos
by Member on May. 20, 2013 at 1:45 PM
Spanish both of my boys are lucky they know English and Spanish due to that their father is from Honduras and only speaks Spanish.
Sarah32882
by on May. 20, 2013 at 2:30 PM

I figured he would eventually learn Spanish.  I took a year of Spanish and French classes in HS. So far, I haven't really used either. I know Latin is said to help with test scores, to understand English better, and claims it helps math scores improve. My thought's were that Latin or German would be a more uncommon skill and possibly more desireable. If he were to switch school's I don't think he would have the option to take those classes.

supercarp
by on May. 20, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Unless you are planning a trip to Germany soon I would forget that, because he won't use it and then he'd just lose it. Latin is a good choice becuse many languages have their base in latin and there are lots of Latin phrases that we commonly use. French is a bad choice because the accent is difficult and if you go anywhere and try to speak it imperfectly, the French get mad at you. Spanish is a good choice because there are so many Spanish speakers in the world. You can always use it somewhere.

Sarah32882
by on May. 20, 2013 at 3:10 PM
It would be an easy decision if we had a family member that only spoke one of the language's. No matter what language he chooses it won't be spoken regularly.
Quoting Chirinos:

Spanish both of my boys are lucky they know English and Spanish due to that their father is from Honduras and only speaks Spanish.

storkradio193
by on May. 20, 2013 at 5:09 PM

It depends.  I'd say Spanish if the goal is usefulness in communicating with others here in the US.  Getting an early feel for French or German can be helpful in future academic pursuits (they are required languages in a number of graduate programs) and are still spoken languages.

http://www.cafemom.com/home/storkradio193

princesskt
by on May. 21, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Personally I would pick Spanish just because if he starts learning it in 3rd grade and continues taking classes, he has a chance to become fluent.  Spanish and French are commonly offered in HS classes as you stated, but not in Elementary school.  IMO this gives him a "head start" and makes him "stick out" among his peers. 

I started learning Spanish in 7th or 8th grade and took it all the way up through college.  Although I know some of it, I'm not fluent.  I think if I started learning Spanish at an early age I would be fluent right now. I also took Latin and Italian and the only language I ever used/was useful to me was Spanish.  I used it on several vacations (Mexico and Florida), I've used it professionally (I'm in education), and other times in my personal life.  I know there are studies where Latin has been helpful for other people in regards to vocabulary and English words, but this wasn't the case for me.

I think in the long run (if he sticks with it) then Spanish will make him more marketable when he gets older.  There are so many jobs that prefer people to be bilingual in English and Spanish. 

It's just one year and he can  take different languages/a different language in the future.  You can always talk to a school counselor or his teacher for assistance if you aren't sure.  I think regardless of which language he takes it is going to benefit your son in the long run to have exposure to another language at such a young age....So basically I think you can't go wrong w/any of them!

kailu1835
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2013 at 1:35 PM
Latin. If you know latin, most other languages are easy.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)