Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Feeling Picked On by OB/GYN

Posted by on May. 22, 2013 at 2:12 AM
  • 39 Replies
Last January, I started on a weightloss mission. From January to October, I lost 48 lbs.
I had a spinal fusion surgery in March of 2012.
In November, we learn that I am pregnant with ds, due in July.
My OB office has a rotation of doctors that you have to see through the course of pregnancy. One doctor has been hung up on my weight since day 1. At first appt, he stated that I was still overweight and I needed to have a 0 weight gain goal. The next dr stated that normal weight gain of 20-30 lbs would be ok.
Next appt was the first dr again, and I had lost weight. But he still said that I could lose weight and still have healthy pregnancy because I wasn't an ideal weight to start with. Please note this was after losing almost 50 lbs.

I am now 31 weeks. And I have gained 23 lbs. this same dr was on my rotation again. This is the first time I've seen him since the above mentioned appt.
He told me today that not only was I irresponsible for getting pregnant so soon after a back surgery, but I was still overweight and was fat. All of my prenatal testing has been normal. No complications at all. EVERY other dr is pleased with my pregnancy except him.
Even though I passed the 1 hr glucose screening. He referred me today for the 3 hr test because my baby is measuring 1 wk ahead. I was told by another dr any measurement within 3 wks is normal and it fluctuates.
The dr even went as far today to say if I wasn't "fat" he would be ok with the first results being within normal range. And accused my family of diabetes, heart disease, etc. One uncle has diabetes. But no one in my immediate family had any health problems.
Other than my weight, I am healthy. I don't get why this one dr needs to point out with every sentence that I am not at an ideal weight and he thinks I'm fat.
by on May. 22, 2013 at 2:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LuLuThatsWho
by on May. 22, 2013 at 2:15 AM

I would explain to the other doctor that I would prefer not to see the critical one again.  Just like any relationship, some doctors and patients are a bad match.

How overweight are you?

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
rh2pinkie
by Member on May. 22, 2013 at 2:18 AM
I wear a sz 16 jeans now. Even at 31 weeks pregnant. I have to wear maternity shirts due to my long torso.
Mrs.Pedro
by Member on May. 22, 2013 at 2:18 AM
Yeah I would refuse to see him again if he's so caught up on your weight.
silverflash
by on May. 22, 2013 at 2:19 AM

The guy sounds like a jerk. I was 250 lbs when I got preggers. The doc did not make a big deal about it at all. However I wish I had had the 3 hr glucose test. My test came out fine but I had a 9lb 10oz baby and a year later I was diabetic.

thatgirl70
by Carin on May. 22, 2013 at 2:21 AM
5 moms liked this

I would file a complaint and insist that he be removed from my rotation. As far as I'm concerned that's abuse and harrassment. 

Momofmenagerie
by on May. 22, 2013 at 2:29 AM
This, this, this! I actually called the reception desk and asked how to file a complaint. They were all too happy to help! Hmmmmm

Quoting thatgirl70:

I would file a complaint and insist that he be removed from my rotation. As far as I'm concerned that's abuse and harrassment. 

cheetah90210
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2013 at 2:38 AM
I would complain about him to the other doctors hes an ass
rh2pinkie
by Member on May. 22, 2013 at 11:03 AM
I've already told the receptionist that I want him taken out of my rotation. She said I don't have to see him anymore. But if I go into labor and he's on duty at the hospital. That I won't be able to request another dr.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 22, 2013 at 11:29 AM

I would tell them that you do not want to see that doctor again. I'd also complain to the chief of staff. Tell them you feel he's being discriminating against you for your weight. 

I am overweight and my doctors all said that 20-30 pounds was fine to gain but no more than that. They said any weight loss was okay, but didn't tell me to lose weight either. 

BamaMommy2
by Member on May. 22, 2013 at 2:17 PM

I would absolutely refuse to see that Dr. again!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)