Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

I.d.g.a.f. about these stupid, "Amber Alerts!" E.T.A.., second E.T.A.

Posted by on May. 22, 2013 at 1:57 PM
  • 28 Replies
O.k. seriously, of course it's sad that these kids are missing, and of course I care, and I'm glad that they have the ''Amber Alert'' system, BUT, I just got a new phone, a T Mobile pre-paid Android smart phone, and many times throughout the day and night it will make a LOUD ''alert'' noise to let me know about an Amber Alert, waking my baby up from her nap, waking us all up at night, and just generally annoying me. Does anyone know how to make it stop? I mean, I am always at home, It's not like I'm going to run into these missing children and be able to help them.

Edit: I THINK I fixed it. I found the icon for it and dragged it to the trash can icon. Hopefully, that fixes it.

Second edit; dragging the icon to the trash didn't work. :/ it went off again. I get that this app could potentially be very good and useful, but I am at home almost ALL the time with my baby. I'm not likely to find one of these missing kids lurking in my living room! This is a VERY intrusive alert. It has gone off four or five times today already, and it is LOUD! The first time it went off, I thought it was the fire alarm! That's what it sounds like. I think this app SHOULD be available, but it should be optional. You should be able to load it onto your phone IF you choose to, it shouldn't just be presumptively added to your phone weather you like it or not. It would be great for an O.T.R. trucker or something, not a s.a.h.m. who's practically a shut in.
by on May. 22, 2013 at 1:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
do11face
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2013 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I have no idea. My phone has never done that.

It only happens on the tv.

Dinimon
by Member on May. 22, 2013 at 1:59 PM
You may be able to change it in the settings. Or put your phone on silent when you/kids are sleeping.
DomsMama07
by Member on May. 22, 2013 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Probably annoying having it go off all the time but what if it was your kid missing? Wouldn't you want ppl paying attention to those "annoying" alerts?
loisl25
by on May. 22, 2013 at 2:05 PM
I hardly ever leave my house! I get what you are saying, but I'm not going to find them here! I'm glad they have it on street billboards and t.v., though.

Quoting DomsMama07:Probably annoying having it go off all the time but what if it was your kid missing? Wouldn't you want ppl paying attention to those "annoying" alerts?
gigis1
by on May. 22, 2013 at 2:06 PM
Idk I get the alerts and appreciate it greatly. If it's in silent it will only show you and it won't ring though
gigis1
by on May. 22, 2013 at 2:07 PM
And obviously I'm on an android since all the spelling errors smh

Quoting gigis1:

Idk I get the alerts and appreciat e ot hreatly. If it's in silent it will omly show you amd it won't ring though
loisl25
by on May. 22, 2013 at 2:12 PM
Yeah, I have that problem, too, with the spelling. Thanks.

Quoting gigis1:

And obviously I'm on an android since all the spelling errors smh

Quoting gigis1:

Idk I get the alerts and appreciat e ot hreatly. If it's in silent it will omly show you amd it won't ring though

ambertreas76
by on May. 22, 2013 at 2:13 PM

There's gotta be a way to disable that.  It would drive me freakin insane!!!!  Maybe try checking your apps and delete it.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 22, 2013 at 2:14 PM
2 moms liked this

Wow maybe you should ask the missing kid's parents to pipe it down so you won't be so annoyed. Smh.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 22, 2013 at 2:14 PM

You can probably choose to turn it off.  They can't know you are at home and selectively send it out.  I am glad they have it, no matter what or when it goes off.  I'd want everybody and their brother knowing my child was missing.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)