Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Should you pay your kids not to smoke?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies

My sister told her teenage son that if he didn't smoke, she'd buy him the car he wants (within reason) for his highschool graduation.

Do you think bribery like this is a good idea?

Posted by Anonymous on May. 23, 2013 at 10:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 23, 2013 at 10:48 AM
No, mine did not smoke and I didn't need to bribe them. Kids should know the risks and not be stupid and smoke.
bamababe1975
by Silver Member on May. 23, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I just have been teaching mine the benefits of not smoking and the risks of smoking. They see their father struggling every day to quit (he uses an e-cig now with less nicotine as a way to step down and stop), and they see me, someone who has never smoked a day in her life. I think they get it and understand why it's a dumb thing to do.

momto3B
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2013 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Personally, I would not. My kids have been told since they were very little that smoking is "DISGUSTING!!" and virtually no one they know personally smokes.  No too worried that they will pick it up.  If they did, my answer would be, you will not be driving any car until you quit. 

ChloeDolce1
by on May. 23, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Um no sorry.  They are to do things( nor NOT do things) because its the rule and if they don't they will face the consequences.  Too many parents seem to be confused about whos really in charge.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Alta2008
by on May. 23, 2013 at 11:03 AM

I don't think its a good idea myself, whats to stop him from smoking after he gets his car and is off to college or somewhere far from home?... Just my thought... he needs to not do it for the right reasons... :) Hope all works out for him...Good Luck

othermom
by Silver Member on May. 23, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Nope, they can just lie about it.

free1
by on May. 23, 2013 at 11:27 AM

No bribery.  Tell your kids the health risks involved in smoking.  If you (general) bribe someone  -who's to say they will/will not still smoke behind your back.

WillsMOM72
by on May. 23, 2013 at 2:28 PM
No. My child knows the dangers of smoking.
AJ-47
by on May. 23, 2013 at 2:39 PM
I've taught my Son the same, as well as it being deadly to the smoker themselves, and those around the smoker. He knows His grandpa and both great-grandpas died from smoking-related cancers, and He knows it's not "cool" to smoke. I wouldn't bribe Him not to, if He decided later in life that He wanted to try it, but there would definitely be consequences and lack of privileges as a result.

Quoting momto3B:Personally, I would not. My kids have been told since they were very little that smoking is "DISGUSTING!!" and virtually no one they know personally smokes.  No too worried that they will pick it up.  If they did, my answer would be, you will not be driving any car until you quit. 
RockyMtnMom14
by on May. 23, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Bribery is not a good idea because her son will not learn the dangers of smoking.  My DD is 8 and I am teaching her what smoking and second hand smoke does to the body.  Unfortunately we have a lot of family members who smoke and I have told her to politely excuse herself when they light up around her. She did tell me that cigs are gross and she will never smoke.  So, hopefully that attitude will stick.  My in-laws smoking actually helped DD see how disgusting of a habit it is. 

You should tell your sis that she should try a different approach. What she is doing is not teaching her son  anything and she is not being a very good role model.  Hope it works out for her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)