Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Breastfeeding in Public IS Gross ... Sometimes

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:21 AM
  • 29 Replies
1 mom liked this

Breastfeeding in Public IS Gross ... Sometimes

by Jeanne Sager

hair dresser cutting hairTalk about a hairy situation! Stylists at a salon got themselves in a pickle recently when they told breastfeeding moms they'd have to cover up ... or they wouldn't snip their hair. Cue angry mom protest, and presto, change-o, there's been a rule change. Haircuts for everyone! Even nursing moms!

Yeeeech! Now hold up, just a second. This is not an "OMG, boooobies, so grosssss" rant.

I'm fully supportive of breastfeeding in public. It's just a baby eating, after all! That said, I don't think women should breastfeed everywhere.

Sure, we have the right to do so, but as it is with many rights, this one comes with certain responsibilities. First, and foremost, we need to keep our babies safe and comfortable. And while one might argue that a hungry baby is an uncomfortable one, hunger pangs are far from the worst a baby can encounter.

More From The Stir: An Open Letter to Moms Who Think Formula Is 'Poison'

Just think about the last time you went in for a haircut. What happened? The stylist draped a cape over you to protect you from getting hair all over your clothes, right? Itchy, uncomfortable hair.

Now consider a mother who is nursing her baby -- uncovered -- in that chair while the stylist snips, snips, snips away. Where is all that hair going? That's right -- right on the uncovered baby. In her face. In her ears. In her mouth.

Itchy, uncomfortable hair.

Ewwww! Poor kid!

Oh, and it gets worse. Ever had a stylist drop her scissors on you? I have.

Imagine her dropping them ... in a baby's eye.

Breastfeeding uncovered while you're getting your hair done might be the ultimate in mommy multitasking, but it's bound to be rather unpleasant for the baby.

This is where we separate the right to breastfeed from the necessity to do so in all situations. Is it really necessary that you feed your baby while getting your hair done? Couldn't you do it before? Or after? We aren't talking about something that can't be rescheduled here. It's a haircut, not surgery. 

Yes, protecting the right to nurse in public is important for moms and babies alike. But let's use a little common sense ...

Moms, you don't always need to multitask. Sometimes you need to just give in and give your babies your full attention.

Would you breastfeed in the hairdresser's chair?

by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NHGal
by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:40 AM
2 moms liked this

I wouldn't nurse while getting my hair done because I like to look at my baby while nursing and my hairdresser doesn't want me looking down.  If I needed to nurse while getting my hair done, I would ask to take a few minutes break and then resume when baby is happy.

Even better, go to the salon without baby!

bellaaax3
by on May. 24, 2013 at 11:46 AM

absolutely not. and if i did, i would make sure to cover my baby depending on what is being done. my dad owns a hair salon and when i get my hair done there, i'll never bring my baby over to me if i'm dying my hair, but if i'm getting it blown out or cut, i'll put him under the cape or just wait depending on how long until i'm done. 

nurse1997
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2013 at 12:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I really dont like this subject any more people feel they have the right to do what ever they want and dont care who else it might  effect im all for breast feeding but I dont want to see anyones boobs or my children you really can still breast feed in public but still keep it private I  Dont need any nasty replys I will not respond back !!!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 24, 2013 at 12:39 PM

not really it is a way u can breastfeed without people looking, u go in a pvt room and breastfeed so no one will look

julie515
by Member on May. 24, 2013 at 3:34 PM
Ditto.

Quoting NHGal:

I wouldn't nurse while getting my hair done because I like to look at my baby while nursing and my hairdresser doesn't want me looking down.  If I needed to nurse while getting my hair done, I would ask to take a few minutes break and then resume when baby is happy.

Even better, go to the salon without baby!

WillsMOM72
by on May. 24, 2013 at 3:35 PM
No
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 3:38 PM
1 mom liked this
I wear the cape to protect my clothing and I get super hot under there. If I were to nurse while getting my hair done I'd either have to put baby under the cape too or leave him exposed to all the hair falling down. No baby needs to eat all day and on the off chance you can't go a half hour without nursing, you probably aren't doing anything worth having your hair all done up. It felt like I was nursing constantly for the first few weeks of his life, but the most I did was put clean clothes in so I could go food shopping or take my kids to the park.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rlmama00
by Member on May. 24, 2013 at 3:45 PM

I'll admit, I have done it. Of course it was at a friend's house in her basement salon. She may have been putting foils in my hair, or we may have just been chatting while the baby ate. I can't remember. I would never consider doing it in a regular salon situation though. That's pushing the NIP thing too far since it defies common sense safety wise.

CMLaurie
by on May. 25, 2013 at 1:40 AM

That's just irresponsible of the Mom. Breastfeeding in public can be okay if you use common sense and take others feelings into consideration. Cover up with a light cotton baby blanket at least. But not in a salon chair as the OP was describing.. When is enouigh - enough!? We can't just do everything we want, c'mon. LOL!  Some people have no regaurd for others feelings or for common sense. That's a shame.  o.O

kailu1835
by Bronze Member on May. 25, 2013 at 1:50 AM
Doesn't need to be uncovered. If I was getting my hair done and needed to breastfeed I'd put baby under the cape and nurse him. Or her.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)