Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mothers of Sons

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies

I recently found out I'm having a boy.  I'm scared.  In the world I grew up in, boys didn't respect girls.  We were seen as objects and anything we could do they could do better. 

To women who are raising or have grown boys, how do you raise them to respect women?  To see there is more behind that hot girl than her body.  To try to think about why a girl may be acting a certain way instead of taking advantage of her.  That girls can do whatever boys can do and deserve the same respect.  All of that and more!

Posted by Anonymous on May. 24, 2013 at 12:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IansMom0821
by on May. 24, 2013 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this
For one thing his father is an excellent example of how men should treat a women, secondly we monitor what they see and hear. If we see something that is wrong we point out why it is wrong and what the correct thing to do or say is. My husbands father is a pig, so we are careful about what interactions he has with our boys. Its also important that yiu respect your self and show hin what a lady is also supposed to act like.
IansMom0821
by on May. 24, 2013 at 12:11 PM
2 moms liked this
The fact that you even care is a great start. You are gonna be a great Mommy :-)
ninamsi
by Member on May. 24, 2013 at 12:22 PM

How you act and how your husband interacts with you will be the way in which your son will see women.  You can talk to him all throughout his life but the way you act and react will be the best lessons.

momto3B
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 12:25 PM

It is someting you start instilling in them at a very young age. The best role model is a father who is respectful of women. Your DH will play a big role in this. 

nurse1997
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 12:46 PM

My son is gentle but so is my husband to be honest you are barking up the wrong tree you have such a long way before you even get to that point- Raise a young man with standards to be honest,hard working, loving, and teach them right from wrong and you will be fine congrat ;]  

Alta2008
by on May. 24, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Just be the best parents you can be... there are no garantees, But if you bring them up in a good home and teach them good manners and respect, they will be fine.... Just TALK, TALK, and TALK some more... always keep the comunication open and talk about everything with them... be honest and explain everything.... They have to be taught to teach everyone with respect... Good Luck and as the above poster says you are off to a good start by caring...

Momofmenagerie
by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:27 PM
2 moms liked this
First of all, you teach them to respect their mothers ... Meaning you do not allow him or any man you are married to/ date to not show you disrespect.

You have plenty of time.... At least until four before respect/ disrespect becomes an issue as tantrums are part of the phases of toddlers.

It sounds as if you've been with some pretty disrespectful men yourself and you are in a bit of a panic of how to raise a respectful young man.

Pm me, I've raised a boy to ten as a single mom and now I am married with a 13 and 2 yr old now.

I may be able to allay some obvious fears hormones are creating..... Boys are not born evil and disrespectful..,. The next generation could change men from careless, disrespectful, non- compassionate playboys, to respectful, companions, husbands and fathers.

I really feel it's possible!
amberk22
by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:28 PM

I def think that a good male role model will do wonders!

txoorahmom
by on May. 24, 2013 at 3:14 PM

all children, boys or gils, learn from example.  I have 3 wonderful sons (25,17 & 15) & 2 amazing grandsons.  my DIL actually thanked me for raising such a great guy. - go figure! but I'll take the credit =)

congrats on your little peanut.

rainbowmaker
by New Member on May. 25, 2013 at 1:50 AM
I have always taught my son the golden rule, do unto others as you would have them do unto you....everything else all the other posters have said as well is good advice. I also take it a step farther...and we all go to church as a family...and if my son mentions a situation where someone is getting bullied, we talk about how to help that person, and not laugh along with the bullies.. I am also very religious, and will ask my son, when he is questioning how to treat/ react to someone in a awkward or aggravating situation, what would Jesus do? I have always taught my son that a real man respects all people, and that women/ girls are people..and that girls like boys that treat them with respect. I have taught my son to open doors for others, etc. I get compliments about how polite my son is...the teachers love him! He is now 15 years old and has friends,and the respect of both his peers and teachers. One day at a time....you can also use bad examples...such as in a movie, etc. as teachable moments...I do that a lot with my 2 teens...i have a girl, 16 and a boy, 15. I also pray on how to guide them best.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)