Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Question about Memorial Day..

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 36 Replies
First, I am in no way trying to sound rude. This is a sincere question..

So, as far as I know, Memorial Day is a time where you remember and honor fallen soldiers from the military right?

So why do people go to their grandmothers/friend/uncle/brothers grave who isn't in the military and place flowers? I mean, it not a big deal or anything, it's just, to me.. That's not what the holidays about...
Posted by Anonymous on May. 26, 2013 at 3:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
babybutastink
by on May. 26, 2013 at 4:03 PM

I really have no idea why people go when the holiday is for the militarys fallen heros.  Sorry I really dont have a clue.....unless maybe just maybe grandpa was in and they visit other family while they are there??

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 26, 2013 at 4:25 PM
Bump
goldilocksbecky
by on May. 26, 2013 at 4:32 PM

People often choose remember all of those who served, not just those who died in service.  So it's very possible that the people they are visiting served at some point.  And yes, its possible that their grandmothers served in some capacity.

Some people even choose to remember and honor those who "served on the home front".  Wives (and in more recent years, husbands) of service members, especially those who are deployed or served in wartime, sacrifice a lot for our freedom.  

And as the previous poster said, a lot of times if someone goes to the cemetery to visit/attend to the graver one person, they will attend to others in the same trip.  People often have many I family members buried in the same cemetery.  So if we are going to place a flag and flowers on grandpas grave, it makes sense to step over and put new flowers on other graves as well.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 26, 2013 at 4:40 PM
Okay, I know what you guys are saying, but I'm talking about a couple particular people I know. Like my in-laws. They go to my Fil's mothers grave and she has nothing to do with the military at all. Her husband didnt serve, there's nobody else they know at the grave site... They just go to remember her.

And a few of my friends go visit a friend of ours who died when he was 10. Obviously not in the military, no parents in the military, he died in a house fire caused by the heater...

I'm not talking about those exceptions you explained, I'm talking about these kinds of examples..
PeaceLoveAndTea
by on May. 26, 2013 at 4:42 PM

My great grandpa was in WWII and died exactly a year after my aunt's funeral. So, when my grandma and great grandma go to put flowers on his grave, they bring some for my aunt, too. Maybe there are other people who do the same.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 26, 2013 at 4:50 PM
It is a time to remember anyone. They don't have to have died in combat or been in the military.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 26, 2013 at 4:54 PM
But that's what the holiday is for... Military...

That's why there are flags everywhere...

Quoting Anonymous:

It is a time to remember anyone. They don't have to have died in combat or been in the military.
kitty8199
by on May. 26, 2013 at 4:57 PM
1 mom liked this
No. Memorial day is a military holiday

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 26, 2013 at 4:57 PM
Duh, yes, but you can remember anyone. There is no law saying not to remember any loved ones.

Quoting Anonymous:

But that's what the holiday is for... Military...

That's why there are flags everywhere...

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 26, 2013 at 4:57 PM
1 mom liked this
This post is dumb.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)