Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Everything's "abuse" so what's a parent supposed to do?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 49 Replies
5 moms liked this

So today's parents are faced with a huge issue it seems. We're not allowed to spank our child on the behind with our bare hand because that's abuse. We're not allowed to raise our voices to get our child's attention because that's abuse. We're not allowed to put them in timeouts in a corner because that's abuse. We're allowed to sit them down and "discuss" why what they're doing is wrong, but have you ever tried that with a 2yo? Nonsense.

So, great gurus of discipline and child rearing... WTF are we supposed to do to help get our children to behave that actually WORKS? If you keep taking away all of our options and claiming they're all abuse, then what are we supposed to do?

Posted by Anonymous on May. 27, 2013 at 12:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vegepunkstr
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2013 at 12:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Who says time outs are abuse? They work great for my kids.
Luv.My.Kidz
by on May. 27, 2013 at 12:39 PM
19 moms liked this

I give my kids timeouts, spank my kids, take things away from them and scold them when it's needed. 

Anyone who wants to say my kids are abused can go f themselves!

ambertreas76
by on May. 27, 2013 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this
This!!!!

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

I give my kids timeouts, spank my kids, take things away from them and scold them when it's needed. 

Anyone who wants to say my kids are abused can go f themselves!

EireLass
by Ruby Member on May. 27, 2013 at 3:57 PM

I always talked to my 2 year olds to explain things, and I do it with my grandson now. It works. I think too many parents are pre-occupied and that's really their problem. They are not 'in the moment' with the child, and out of frustration, try to 'put the child away'.

Alta2008
by on May. 27, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Go here and check for your state, but most states you are still allowed to spank your child, as long as it is reasonable, not beating.... And I have never heard that time out is against the law anywhere.... Where are you getting your info from?.... 

www. legalmatch.com/law-library/article/laws-against-spanking.html

or just google it.... There are 19 states that still paddle kids in school.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 27, 2013 at 5:33 PM
2 moms liked this
Spanking is not abuse. It is not illegal either.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 27, 2013 at 5:41 PM
1 mom liked this

And this worked for autistic/behavior struggling/attention deficit 4 yr olds? If so, I'll let you do your best with my son.

Quoting EireLass:

I always talked to my 2 year olds to explain things, and I do it with my grandson now. It works. I think too many parents are pre-occupied and that's really their problem. They are not 'in the moment' with the child, and out of frustration, try to 'put the child away'.

HunnyBabie
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2013 at 5:47 PM

You're supposed to let your children rear themselves; that way they'll turn out like all the other ____ in America!!!

rolls eyes

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 27, 2013 at 5:49 PM

There is no law against spanking or time out, or yelling. Seriously. Anyone that is telling you this is blowing some serious smoke up your ass.

If you're already under dcfs scrutiny, it's probably too late to change things though.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 27, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Beating the tar out of an autistic/behavior disorder child isn't going to work either. Getting professional help might, but beating them won't work, nor will spanking or "time out"

Quoting Anonymous:

And this worked for autistic/behavior struggling/attention deficit 4 yr olds? If so, I'll let you do your best with my son.

Quoting EireLass:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)