Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Why do so many people name their kids this?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 292 Replies
4 moms liked this
The name itself doesn't bother me, in fact I think its cute. But it's soooo overused and I just wonder why so many pick it, If they think its unique or something. I have 4 family members with these names for their kids, at least 7 friends who've named their kid some version of this name, plus there's hundreds of celebs naming their kids this! Not to mention the amount of CafeMom moms kids.

And I'm sure some will take offense to this, especially people whose kids have such names, but I'm not being mean, I'm simply asking why. I'm truly curious to know what made you choose this. And if all you have to say is "I don't care what other people name their kids, why do you?" Or "it's none of my business what other people name their kids" etc, then just don't comment at all because I'm JUST CURIOUS. I'm shocked that people continue to name their kids this after they already know tons of people IRL who've used this name.

Brayden, Braylin, Peyton, Paylin, Caden, Calen.
(Other spellings used too obviously)

Update: I rest my frickin case people! Out of 200 replies there are 17 Braydon's, 12 Aidens named that and 8 mentioned as known, 5 Jaydons, 1 Jeyton, 1 Caylin, 1 Caden,
7 Payton's, 1 Breylin.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 29, 2013 at 8:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
whatmynameagain
by Member on May. 29, 2013 at 8:10 AM
4 moms liked this
My son is Ayden which is also used a lot but when we named him I knew no one with that name. Dh and I named him Ayden bc WE liked the name and it fits him..."firey"
Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 29, 2013 at 8:40 AM
10 moms liked this
I hate names with stupid different spellings where the poor child has to prounounce and spell their name to everyone. Parents are not thinking about a child doing this their whole life.
GunnyGirlTN
by on May. 29, 2013 at 8:40 AM
2 moms liked this
I named my daughter Chloe thinking it was different. But now everyone is using that name which makes me mad. Lucky for use Thomas is not used too much anymore.

I think a lot of people use those names because its "trendy". Poor kids though. I remember Ashley, Amanda, and Elizabeth being the popular and having at least three of each in every class.

briefcase

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 29, 2013 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this

They're trendy and popular so some people see that and want them BECAUSE they're trendy and popular, and some just choose them because they hear them all the time and the names sort of "stick" when they're picking names. When I was growing up, we always had multiple Jennifers, Jessicas, Amys, Heathers, and Stephanies in each class, but my mom didn't choose to name me Stephanie because it was a popular name - she didn't actually choose my name at all, lol. My name was originally supposed to be Melanie Ann, because she wanted to name me after Melanie in Gone with the Wind, but her dad said my name would be Stephanie because then it'd be alliterative and memorable like Marilyn Monroe. My mom scoffed at the idea, but when she held me and the nurse asked for the name, she said, "Stephanie."

la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on May. 29, 2013 at 8:51 AM

I guess they just really like their name. I had a friend who had an Aiden a year ago and when I told her it was popular she insisted it was unique. She also has a Jackson which she thinks is unique. I think everyone doesn't look at popularity lists and I honestly only know 2 Aiden's but I know 6 Conner's and 8 Brayden's. Both of those names are common in my area.

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on May. 29, 2013 at 9:03 AM
3 moms liked this
When my friend picked the name eight years ago it wasn't as popular as it is now. I hate the names because there's so many spellings and people are idiots. I work in a pharmacy and I've asked someone to spell "jayden" for me and they look at me like I'm stupid and slowly pronounce it. I'll usually say "is that jay, jae, or jal". Then they usually lose their attitude.
honeydewmommy
by on May. 29, 2013 at 9:14 AM

I agree. Like my nephew name is Jaydon, so I was wondering, did my brother and his wife play the letter game how many letters can we put in front of the name aydon LOL anyways, this year there were 5 different variations of Aydon in my sons class it was kinda wierd. 

pianomom21
by New Member on May. 29, 2013 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this
I have a Bradyn, but nine years ago the name was quite unique. I wish his name was still unique now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 29, 2013 at 9:45 AM
Is that what Ayden means, firey? That's a cool reason though, you guys liked the definition. Most people nowadays who name their child something "trendy" don't even know the meaning of it. But you're right, Ayden only recently got popular.

Quoting whatmynameagain:

My son is Ayden which is also used a lot but when we named him I knew no one with that name. Dh and I named him Ayden bc WE liked the name and it fits him..."firey"

Lol

mcginnisc
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2013 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this
We named our daughter Kahlan 10 years ago. It was not popular at all back then. We saw the name in a novel we both liked and as it turned out, it was a mix of my name, my mother's name and my MIL's name so we used it. It is even more special to us now as she was stillborn at 36 weeks. One of our other dd's has a very popular name, but we call her that as a nickname as her actual name is something else..our youngest is named after a friend of ours..

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN