Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Do you give your children allowance & what chores are they expected to do in return?

Posted by on Jun. 7, 2013 at 1:55 AM
  • 7 Replies

Do you give your children allowance? (why or why not)

How much?

How often?

What chores (if any) are they expected to do in return?

by on Jun. 7, 2013 at 1:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 7, 2013 at 2:35 AM

DD is 7 yrs old

$5 a week

dishes every other night (put in dishwasher and start it), clean room, pick up bathroom, helping with laundry, taking care of dog (e.g. feeding, letting it outside)

want10more
by Bronze Member on Jun. 7, 2013 at 3:48 AM

i give my kids 10 buks a week. IF they finish their chores. that includes, clean the living room and dining room. clean their own bedrooms and help lil uns clean theirs. put away their own clean laundry. help w/ yardwork in the summer. take out the garbage. and i give them an allowance cuz they are helping out in the house. and i want them to understand the power of money, and how you gotta work for it to get it.

lilblu399
by Member on Jun. 7, 2013 at 4:00 AM
1 mom liked this
No cash, we do a point system. Daily, putting dishes away, clearing the table, feeding and giving water to the cats and sweeping, all worth a point a piece if done without me telling him twice. Clean room is worth up to 10 and that's once a week. And anything else I ask can be anywhere from 1 to 5 points.

10 points-small treat or toy from store.
20points-20mins at anyplace he chooses(usually the apple store)

30points-trip and a treat we don't usually buy(like candy or if he wants MacDonald's)

40 points-I download a game for him on my phone.

My son is 5.
Points don't expire but if he misbehaves, his points are "frozen" meaning he cannot earn anymore or cannot cash them in for a certain time, so far he has only gotten them frozen once for a day. I also have a 2yo but she likes to help so she gets stickers, when she's older she can get points too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AliKatAK47
by Bronze Member on Jun. 7, 2013 at 8:02 AM
Yes. SO has taken over the allowance. They get $10 a week and they are expected to keep their rooms clean, feed their dogs, wash their own dishes, keep their dirty laundry in the hamper and just help around the house and listen to us.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 7, 2013 at 12:13 PM
1 mom liked this

No allowance.

They do chores because they are members of this family and need to help.    

auntangelofsix
by Angel on Jun. 7, 2013 at 5:53 PM
I agree.

Quoting Anonymous:

No allowance.

They do chores because they are members of this family and need to help.    

mariamom80538
by on Jun. 7, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Yes or a reward. The reward doesn't have to be money. I reward everytime they help.

Please visit and pass on thanks!

http://togetherwefightcancer.org/index.html

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)