Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Would be okay with your daughter doing this?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 28 Replies

"After setting off a storm of criticism from abortion rights groups upset that a Democratic president had sided with social conservatives, the Obama administration said it will comply with a judge's order to allow girls of any age to buy emergency contraception without prescriptions." [link]

Would you be okay with your daughter buying Plan B without telling you?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 11, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 10:56 AM

We talked about everything, and my daughter new my thoughts on all things sexual. She knows I would have bought it for her.

For the ones who are not okay with her buying it without parental knowledge....why wouldn't you talk at length with your kids about it all?

balagan_imma
by Silver Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 11:05 AM

If she bought it, used it and told me later on, what could I do? I would have to come to terms with it.

But more importantly, I'd have to come to terms with the fact that my daughter did not feel that she could confide in me. I am open with her. And I hope that she would be comfortable enough to talk to me about it.

GertieK
by Silver Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 11:22 AM
3 moms liked this

For me, it's not so much that she used it, although I think the stuff is going to be found to be very damaging to our young girls.  It is that the government is taking away our parental rights, and are becoming a nanny to our children.  This is a very scary and dangerous thing, and so many are missing that point.  Little by little, they are taking our rights as parents away.

unspecified42
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I would be sad that she didn't feel comfortable enough to talk to me about it, but I would prefer she have access to it if she needed it, yes. 

GertieK
by Silver Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 1:23 PM
3 moms liked this

So. what if your daughter is 11?  or even 10?  There will be no age limit on this newest version of the law.  At what age are you willing to relinquish your parental authority?  We are indirectly saying to our children, and they ARE OUR CHILDREN - sex at any age is ok.  How do you give a thumbs up to a bill allowing a girl of any age to access a pill that can prevent pregnancy?  We have teenage boys (and girls) labeled as sexual predators for having sex with each other, but then we turn around and tell any girl of any age - but if you do, it's ok as long as you don't get pregnant.  PLUS, if they do get and take it - you will probably never know, because according to the government, it is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS.  I have no problems with mature adult women accessing this - it is not an abortifacient - but giving children, our children, access to medication that at the very least can be harmful and at the worst give them a perceived permission to have sex - is wrong on so many levels I would not know where to start.  When are parents going to stand up and take back their rights and authority?  Or, are you ok with the government acting as parent to your child?  My kids may be grown with kids of their own, but they are livid over this.  My oldest grandaughter is 14, and sex has always been an open topic.  There is no being squeemish.  They were born at home, so she has seen her two younger sisters births.  She has no illusions about what sex can result in.  But, she is 14. And while she is fairly mature, and an extremely bright young lady, she is in no way mature enough to be given the legal authority to decide about taking a pill like that.

SWasson
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 3:01 PM

I would feel hurt that she didn't tell me, but I can imagine plenty of situations where a girl might need to do this. There are parents who would abuse a teenager for having consensual sex.

GertieK
by Silver Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 4:34 PM
1 mom liked this

So, it is better to have the government be in control of your children?  That is what is going on, here.  It isn't about women's reproductive rights.  That may be what is being fed to the public, but that isn't what is going on.  Slowly, but surely, your rights as a parent are being taken away from you... and all in the name of "women's reproductive freedom".  What a load of hog wash.  WOMEN - have access to all the reproductive/BC freedom they want.  We are talking about children.  Little girls.  LITTLE girls.... who do not have the maturity to understand the ramifications of sex - never mind the morning after pill.  Hell, they should be more concerned about their stinking barbie dolls - not going down to the corner store to get the morning after pill.  And quite frankly, this certainly makes it much easier for a man to abuse a very young child/girl or teen without fear of getting her pregnant.  There may be parents who over-react to their daughter having consensual sex at too young an age, but my God, aren't parents SUPPOSED to get upset about that kind of thing?  What, now parents who are upset and ashamed that their daughter was having sex before they are ready are not supposed to get upset?  While some parents may over-react, I guarantee the potential for young girls to be taken advantage of and abused will be much higher and far outweigh parents who over-react.  This is insane.  As far as I am concerned we have let our children and our grandchildren down.  When a 10, 0r 12 year old purchases these pills, someone is guilty of statutory rape.  Apparently, this does not seem to matter any more, as long as no pregnancy results.  Our poor children are being parented by a government that is corrupt and power hungry, and way out of control.  And parents are just going, "uh, oh ok.... if you think so."  Now girls of any age can be abused, raped, behave WAY beyond their own age - and there will be NO ramifications.  What reason does anyone have to have morals, ethics, draw a line an stick to it?  They either can take the pill after they have sex - and heaven only knows what this will do to their body after a while - or they can have an abortion - at any point in the pregnancy - from 6 weeks to 24 or 26 weeks, and you dear parents - will probably never know about any of it.... because the government says that you don't have the right to know about what's going on with your own children.  No matter.  I am so disgusted and disappointed and sad for our children.  They don't get to be kids any more, and parents have relinquished their responsibilities.

cjsix
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 2:33 AM

No....and I know none of my daughters would want to use this so it is a nonissue in our family.

EarlGrayHot
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Bottom line was always that our daughter could tell us anything so that would not have come up.  Of course, we always emphasized that sex was for responsible adults who have the rsources to support a child.  However, while I agree that Plan B should be available, I would be ocncerned that a minor child might have problems using it and an adult should know for that reason.  But wait-have I missed something?  I thought the president supported birth control options for everyone, including those unfortunate enough to work for religious organizations which want to trample on employee rights and force them to follow their religious dictates.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 12, 2013 at 2:28 PM

I guess that doesn't matter now; does it?  The government already decided that it better be okay with me BECAUSE it's okay with him!

(yes, I typed what I meant and mean what I typed.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)