Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parents Choose Not to Vaccinate Their Kids & Come to Regret It

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 8:17 AM
  • 69 Replies

Parents Choose Not to Vaccinate Their Kids & Come to Regret It

by Adriana Velez

vaccinationIan and Linda Williams were confident about their choice not to vaccinate their children. But a recent health scare has hurled them into a 180 turn on immunizations, and they want to warn everyone they can: Not vaccinating nearly killed their child. When their 7-year-old son Alijah got a small cut on the bottom of his foot, they thought it was just an ordinary injury that would heal. But that cut turned into a nightmare that landed Alijah in intensive care. Alijah's foot was infected with tetanus bacteria, a serious infection that can put a child's life in danger.

"The mistake that we made was that we underestimated the diseases and we totally overestimated the adverse reactions," Ian Williams admits. And those adverse reactions were horrific.

First Alijah came down with a stroke on one side of his face (toxins had begun to attack his nerves). A couple days later he was in intense pain, with cramps spreading all across his face. The cramps and the pain spread throughout his body. Once he was in intensive care, doctors induced a coma to relieve the escalating symptoms. Alijah was put on life support and heavily sedated for three weeks.

The Williams felt horrible. Their decision had caused their son so much pain -- and threatened his life. How could they have been so wrong?

Linda had been set against vaccinations from the beginning. Ian, a scientist, decided to do his own research. What he found convinced him that vaccinations were dangerous and benefited pharmaceutical companies more than children. But as soon as the Williams found out that their son was suffering from tetanus, they had their other two children vaccinated against all childhood diseases. And then they started speaking out about their experience.

I feel like we've hit a turning point in the vaccination debate. The connection between MMRs and autism seems to have been debunked. But that trust between doctors and parents -- or, more accurately, between drug manufacturers and parents -- has been broken. Vaccinations still make a lot of parents nervous and skeptical. But most of us aren't quite ready to ditch them altogether, so we go with delayed schedules, or we ask our doctors a thousand questions.

I have friends who work in infectious diseases around the globe, and they take immunizations seriously. They save lives. But there must be some balance that gives parents a greater sense of control and arms us with trustworthy information. No need to throw out vaccination altogether -- but maybe if we avoid extreme positions, we can protect our kids' health from both diseases and vaccination schedules that don't work for everyone.

Do you trust the information about vaccinations that you can find on the Internet?

by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 8:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 12, 2013 at 9:03 AM
Tetanus kills. That is a fact. You would think parents would all atg least get that shot for their kids. Maybe these kids, as adults will decide to get vaccinated as adults. Maybe they are not brainwashed by their parents.
GertieK
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 9:09 AM
4 moms liked this

While I chose not to give my kids the full list of vaccinations, they did receive the tetanus vaccine.  We live in the country, and the long-term side effects from tetanus were very minimal compared to the effects of the disease.  With tetanus flourishing in animals feces (not rusty nails), and my kids going barefoot - I felt that it was the right and best thing to do.  However, I also want to say that I have NEVER regretted not doing the other stuff.  I also would like to see some kind of article that compares the number of people who regret vaccinating against those who regret not vaccinating.  Quite frankly, I do not believe the connection between vaccines and MMR has been debunked.  There is no way you can convince me that injecting vaccines containing heavy metals, viral diseases, mycoplasma, fecal material, DNA fragments from other species, formaldehyde, polysorbate 80 (a sterilizing agent) into their little bodies – is safe as promoted.  Newborns being injected seems particularly frightening.

Momofmenagerie
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 9:27 AM
Honestly? I must have been really dense about the idea of non-vaxing.... I just assumed tetanus was a " given". I mean, I get scratched by any metal that brings blood, I'm mentally figuring out my last tetanus shot in my head because I had a dad who was terrified of the illness.
My heart goes out to this family.... This is an awful way to gain more "reasearch" :-/

Quoting Anonymous:

Tetanus kills. That is a fact. You would think parents would all atg least get that shot for their kids. Maybe these kids, as adults will decide to get vaccinated as adults. Maybe they are not brainwashed by their parents.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 12, 2013 at 6:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I would like to point out that only 1/12 000 000 get tetanus.  It is that rare. This is not primarily due to the tetanus vaccine - tetanus was really rare even before vaccination, and most adults are not up to date on vaccination. Most of the cases of tetanus are in the elderly or drug users,  per CDC.  

Many selective/delayed vaxxers do get the tetanus, vaccine as they do not want to worry about every cut, and because tetanus is dangerous.  It is extremely rare, though, so I am not sure it is even worth the risk of the car rides back and forth for the jabs.  

My heart goes out to these people.  They are a one off, however. 

As per when posters (not verifiable articles)  completely switch sides or say "I was anti-vax and then my child got measles and it was so bad!" , I tend to believe they are trolling.  Shrug.  Most vaccine available diseases are very rare.  I am more likely to believe someones scare story when it is pertussis or even the CP/flu - you know, something that actually circulates.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 12, 2013 at 7:14 PM
2 moms liked this

It is a no brainer to vaccinate your kids. Mine are 17 and 19 and got all their vaccinations and turned out fine. And I am very intelligent and well read also. 

bigmama423
by New Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 7:19 PM
6 moms liked this
I do not vaccinate, seeing stuff like this is sad, but doesn't change my mind on vaccines.
Unfortunately articles like this are mainly for scare tactics.

I trust reliable sources. But I do not believe/trust everything I see.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 12, 2013 at 7:24 PM
Do they not know what to do when you get a cut? There are natural effective ways to prevent and treat this. That's horrible that they experienced this but doesn't change my mind
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 12, 2013 at 7:26 PM
This

Quoting GertieK:

While I chose not to give my kids the full list of vaccinations, they did receive the tetanus vaccine.  We live in the country, and the long-term side effects from tetanus were very minimal compared to the effects of the disease.  With tetanus flourishing in animals feces (not rusty nails), and my kids going barefoot - I felt that it was the right and best thing to do.  However, I also want to say that I have NEVER regretted not doing the other stuff.  I also would like to see some kind of article that compares the number of people who regret vaccinating against those who regret not vaccinating.  Quite frankly, I do not believe the connection between vaccines and MMR has been debunked.  There is no way you can convince me that injecting vaccines containing heavy metals, viral diseases, mycoplasma, fecal material, DNA fragments from other species, formaldehyde, polysorbate 80 (a sterilizing agent) into their little bodies – is safe as promoted.  Newborns being injected seems particularly frightening.

MinglingMom
by Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 10:26 PM

I'm perfectly fine with people who don't want to vaccinates but I think the tetnus vaccine is a silly one to skip. I know that most weigh the pros and cons but after a boy in my 17 year old sister's class got the Mumps, the WHOLE class was exposed (about 44 kids) and his parents were greatful that most of the class had been vaccinated since they chose not to vaccinate their son. It could have been so much worse if no one had. And yes, some of the other kids got it but all are okay now.

I'm not saying that those who choose not to vaccinate should do so, but it's not fair to try and persuade them with scare tactics when (I think) enough people choose to as a preventative measure. Obviously, this is my personal opinion.

CrossStitchMum
by Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 10:48 PM
6 moms liked this

I trust the memories of older people who have seen these diseases destroy a family when a child dies, or has suffered through 1 themselves. Its horrific. Even now I think, if we didnt have the medication we do now, I would have lost my children to allergic reactions or fevers by now. As a mum that terrifies me, and I will do anything to protect my children. The vaccinations do a lot more good than harm in my eyes

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)