Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Would you have a problem with your child dating outside your race?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 334 Replies
1 mom liked this

We're white but have some close black friends whose son is very much interested in dating our daughter. I personally think it's great since they've grown up together and have always been great friends, but his parents aren't too keen on it. They say it'll be hard for them, and it's true, it would be, but it's not like we're living in the '50s or something. Plus, who's to say that a date will lead to more anyway? They may decide to just stay friends.

Would you have a problem with your child dating outside your race?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GOBryan
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:48 PM
8 moms liked this

As long as my children are happy, that's what counts. I would suggest that they have minimal criteria such as that the person be employed, respectful, have goals.  Afterall, you can't live off love alone. 

I don't have a problem with them dating outside their race but there's more issues that usually accompany dating outside one's race. 

ninamsi
by Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:49 PM
2 moms liked this

I would prefer my sons to date girls within their race because it is so hard to find a good black man.  If they should decide to date a white girl or some other race I would not have a problem with it.

GertieK
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 1:05 PM
34 moms liked this

My daughter is married to an AA, and they have two children.  We love him.  That's it.  When she told me she was going to marry him, I will not say that we didn't question both of them, because we live in the deep south.  In reality, the prejudice does not stem from the white population, but the black population can be very cruel and prejudiced.  When she explained later, she said, "Mom, as I have prayed over the years for God to send me a husband, I asked for a kind man, a caring man but mostly a Christian man.  I wanted him to be family oriented with a good family.  I wanted him to love children.  I wanted him to be honest and honorable.  I never said, "Oh, and God, he has to be white".  This is the man God sent to me."  That was all we needed to hear.

EarlGrayHot
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 1:08 PM
11 moms liked this

Unless aliens have landed from the planet Mongo, that would be impossible.  So no.  After all, we all came from the same place in the heart of Africa long, long ago. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 12, 2013 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this

wow,,,you know there was a post earlier about someone who wasnt sure their kid should hang with someone who was possibly gay,,, you should get to gether with that op and the two of ya could have a great conversation.... ITS A PERSON ISNT IT,,,A BLACK KID IS A PERSON A WHITE KID IS A PERSON A YELLOW BROWN PINK PERSON IS A PERSON

you know what id take issue with,,, my daughter wanting to date a horse,,, marry her cat,,, go crusing the stockyards for a cute little male calf.... lol im sorry its just funny. no wonder people here seem so dumb all their common sense space in the brain is used u with this stupid shit

NDADanceMom
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 1:10 PM
3 moms liked this
I'm more concerned about their background than color. I have no issue with my son dating a girl of color who comes from a solid family in a good neighborhood. I'd flip the hell out if he brought home some trashy trailer park skank smelling like cigarettes, white or not.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 12, 2013 at 1:11 PM
2 moms liked this

Try again. I said I do NOT have a problem with my daughter dating him - HIS parents have the issue.

Quoting Anonymous:

wow,,,you know there was a post earlier about someone who wasnt sure their kid should hang with someone who was possibly gay,,, you should get to gether with that op and the two of ya could have a great conversation.... ITS A PERSON ISNT IT,,,A BLACK KID IS A PERSON A WHITE KID IS A PERSON A YELLOW BROWN PINK PERSON IS A PERSON

you know what id take issue with,,, my daughter wanting to date a horse,,, marry her cat,,, go crusing the stockyards for a cute little male calf.... lol im sorry its just funny. no wonder people here seem so dumb all their common sense space in the brain is used u with this stupid shit

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 12, 2013 at 1:12 PM
1 mom liked this

That's how I feel, too. They're just teens so no jobs, but they're both respectful and ambitious and kind. They're also smart enough to know that not everyone will be happy about them being together.

Quoting GOBryan:

As long as my children are happy, that's what counts. I would suggest that they have minimal criteria such as that the person be employed, respectful, have goals.  Afterall, you can't live off love alone. 

I don't have a problem with them dating outside their race but there's more issues that usually accompany dating outside one's race. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 12, 2013 at 1:13 PM
6 moms liked this

I love her answer.

Quoting GertieK:

My daughter is married to an AA, and they have two children.  We love him.  That's it.  When she told me she was going to marry him, I will not say that we didn't question both of them, because we live in the deep south.  In reality, the prejudice does not stem from the white population, but the black population can be very cruel and prejudiced.  When she explained later, she said, "Mom, as I have prayed over the years for God to send me a husband, I asked for a kind man, a caring man but mostly a Christian man.  I wanted him to be family oriented with a good family.  I wanted him to love children.  I wanted him to be honest and honorable.  I never said, "Oh, and God, he has to be white".  This is the man God sent to me."  That was all we needed to hear.

GwenGray
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 1:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Who ever my kids date is fine as long as they treat each other right and with respect.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)