Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

12-Year-Olds Handcuffed & Arrested for Being Tardy for School?!

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 9:06 AM
  • 14 Replies

12-Year-Olds Handcuffed & Arrested for Being Tardy for School

by Ericka Sóuter

lockersWhen you see a teen handcuffed and headed to the police station, your mind naturally begins to swirl with all the crimes he could have possibly committed. Did he steal? Beat someone up? Vandalize something? It's doubtful that you imagined he was headed to a cell for being tardy for school. But that is exactly what is happening to kids in Texas. Teens are being arrested for truancy.

"I'm getting treated like a criminal," said one 16-year-old, who was sent to court after amassing four absences after her grandmother's death. That is just one of many examples that prompted a group of students to file a federal civil rights complaint that accuses the school district of cruel and unusual punishment.

As it stands, kids as young as 12 can be cuffed, arrested, and fined for being late or missing class. And once they turn 17, they can actually be put in jail if they neglect to pay up. Outrageous, don't you think? While I am sure officials tout that it's their way of keeping kids in line, it's also big business. The special truancy court prosecuted more than 36,000 cases and collected $2.9 million in fines last year. That's a lot of money for those cash-strapped communities.

But that doesn't make it right. Clearly the focus is on the wrong thing here. Are they putting just as much time and effort toward combating student drug use, theft, assault, creating pregnancy prevention programs, and the many other things we parents put far above a few tardies? This just seems like a ridiculous misuse of police time and effort.

Do you think arresting a kid for truancy is going overboard?

by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 9:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 13, 2013 at 9:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Can't these kids get their asses to school every day?  Not that difficult. 

Yes truants should be arrested and the parents too. 

I doubt that child was truant after 4 absences for a death.  Bet they are leaving out they had been truant a ton of other times also and probably failed to say why.  These type articles never tell the truth. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 13, 2013 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Of course this is going to far. 

These are police state tactics.

I am so glad I home-school.

nova.mommy
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think we are hearring to whole story.  

Was the child that missed because of grandmothers death have the proper paper work to saying there was s death in the family?  Did the parents confirm this it was his word only?  Where there other issues?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this
There is way more to that part of the story. They probably had 20 unexcused absenses.
I demanded my girls strive for perfect attendance. 6 years in a row oldest did.

Quoting nova.mommy:

I don't think we are hearring to whole story.  

Was the child that missed because of grandmothers death have the proper paper work to saying there was s death in the family?  Did the parents confirm this it was his word only?  Where there other issues?

nova.mommy
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Yes it can.  When my grandmother passed, she lived in another state so being there for the veiwing, service and getting a plane there & back I was gone 5 days.  I even missed one viewing.  My parents had been there already and stayed after brother and I came back home.

Quoting Anonymous:

I doubt that child was truant after 4 absences for a death.  Bet they are leaving out they had been truant a ton of other times also and probably failed to say why.  These type articles never tell the truth.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:09 PM
I meant that it was not the first absence for this kid. Not that they missed 4 days for a funeral. 4 days does not make a truant.

Quoting nova.mommy:

Yes it can.  When my grandmother passed, she lived in another state so being there for the veiwing, service and getting a plane there & back I was gone 5 days.  I even missed one viewing.  My parents had been there already and stayed after brother and I came back home.

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nova.mommy
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:13 PM

That may be what you meant.  Lord knows I can't also match what I type to what is in my mind.

But, the way it is written you doubted someone could miss 4 days because of a death.

Quoting Anonymous:

I meant that it was not the first absence for this kid. Not that they missed 4 days for a funeral. 4 days does not make a truant.

Quoting nova.mommy:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:14 PM
The way I thought I wrote it was that no one is truant after 4 absences, lol.

Quoting nova.mommy:

That may be what you meant.  Lord knows I can't also match what I type to what is in my mind.

But, the way it is written you doubted someone could miss 4 days because of a death.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting nova.mommy:

Quoting Anonymous:

CNMami
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:45 PM

If the kids have been truant numerous times, then they should be arrested.  I have had high school students brought to my classroom by police officers.   That is the only way some of these students would ever get to school.  During the day many are out doing things they should not be instead of getting a school education.  HOWEVER, there are times when absences should be condoned (i.s., family member's death, illness).

D.O.E.
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this

with the rate of drop outs, and illiterate kids america has? at least texas is trying to do SOMETHING about it.

cry me a river kid! getyour ass in class and it wont be a problem,will it?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN