Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Should this be essential baby gear?

Posted by   + Show Post

My family(DH,  DD, DS and I) went for a ride in the car last weekend.  While out we stopped to give the kids a treat of a McDonalds lunch.  It was a spur of the moment trip or we would have been able to pack a picnic lunch, anyways back to the topic.  

While there, we happened to sit at a table that was next to an outlet.  When we were almost done, a women with 2 or 3 kids came in.  She had what looked like a plug in battery charger and a cell phone battery.  She was looking around and came up to our table and asked if she could use the outlet.  She said she was driving with her kids and her phone was almost out of power and she didn't like not having it when the kids were with her.  Of course we said to go right ahead, it was not our outlet anyway.  She had her oldest(10-12) sit at the table next to us so he could see the charger and she went to order.  Before she finished ordering, we left and I think the boy moved to the table we had just left.

As we got back to the car, I checked my phone, it was less than halfway so I got out our car charger and plugged it in.

If you know that you might be in your car with the kids and you may not have a full charge on your phone,  why wouldn't you have a car charger?  We have 2 cars and a charger in each car.  Having one is well less than the peice of mind that comes from having one.

Do have one in your car?

by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Replies (11-20):
CatFishMom
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 2:34 PM

No, I dont have one and nor do I think it's essential-it's just one more thing to keep track of. I just make sure I charge my phone at home.

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 2:51 PM
I don't have a car or drive, so I don't own a car charger. Maybe once every few months I feel the need to charge my phone while I'm out. I usually stop at a library though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shelly126
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 3:26 PM
Yes, I think it's smart for anyone to have a car charger, especially with children.
1plustwinsmommy
by Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 4:48 PM
Essential? Nope. Nice to have, absolutely.
nova.mommy
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 7:48 AM

They are not special cars, just Toyotas(7 year old RAV-4 and 2 year old Camry).

Quoting Susan0805:

Aren't you special? Not everyone has the same car as you...

Quoting nova.mommy:

Our cars both have a second charger outlet(hard to get to but there incase).  Our chargers, and our GPS plug too, have USB ports on them so two things can be use at one time.

Quoting Susan0805:

We recently went on a trip back home. App. 13 hour trip. We were using our car charger for GPS. We couldn't plug both up at the same time and the GPS battery only lasted a short time unplugged for whatever reason (it was brand new). Maybe she was in the same situation?

cntrdmom
by Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 7:56 AM
Essential? No. Very handy? Yes. She had a wall charger and still got it charged. No big deal to me. I only have a car charger now because I was down to 1 wall charger and forgot it at home and went to work. So I bought a car charger that night. And I ordered 2 more wall charger so k can keep one at work. But for me my cell phone is necessary.
me-n-mygirls
by Shontell on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:39 AM
I haven't had a car charger in years...

I gave an adapter that plugs into the lighter n has actual plugs so we use the house charger when we will be gone for a long time.

RigPrincess85
by Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:59 AM

we always have one in the truck.

gcstar42
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 12:10 PM
I do not have a car charger. I personally do not really see the need for it. My phone can go 4-5 days without being charged and I have never been in a car for that long lol. If I was going to be traveling for that many days I would assume whatever hotel or other place I stayed at would have outlets to use my regular phone charger.
jeannie39
by Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 4:05 PM

I had one in my car until it broke and I haven't repaced it. I charge my phone all night every night at home. This lady could have been in the same position as I am, not replaced hers yet so if I was out and my phone was low, I would recharge at a resturant. I wouldn't make a habit of it but in an emergency, Yeah, I would.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)