Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

School Fires Teacher Because Her Husband Is 'Too Dangerous'

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 8:57 AM
  • 9 Replies

School Fires Teacher Because Her Husband Is 'Too Dangerous'

by Ericka Sóuter

carie charlesworthMost of us can't imagine turning our back on a domestic violence victim and her kids who were in desperate need of help. But not everyone is so empathetic. Carie Charlesworth, a sixth-grade private school teacher, was fired because her ex-husband was "too dangerous." Not only did she lose her job -- and her only means of supporting her family -- her four kids (all students at the school) were kicked out as well. Was this really the right thing to do?

I understand the administrators' and parents' fears. Her ex, who had a restraining order against him, had popped up in the elementary school parking lot the Monday after harassing his family over the weekend. She told the school principal what had happened and the entire school went into lockdown mode. It's a necessary precaution in this day and age, where schools have been the setting for the most unspeakable acts of violence. There is a restraining order against him that he ignored and, as a result, was put in jail. But anticipating his release, the San Diego school kicked the entire family out even though Charlesworth had taught there for 14 years without a blemish on her record.

The school's decision just goes to further victimize the victims. Not only that, it sets a bad example for the entire student body. The lesson in all of this? Turn your back on someone in need. Kids who have very troubled and stressful home lives find a great deal of comfort in the routine and calmness of school. That has now been stripped away.

Don't get me wrong. It's not as though I think they should just ignore the situation or a possible threat, but there must be another solution other than leaving this woman with no way to support her family and no school for the children to attend. If there is a restraining order in place and this man keeps breaking it, the police need to increase their presence and protect this woman and her family, even if it means regularly patrolling the campus.

Or perhaps put her on administrative leave or give her an office job with the Diocese of San Diego, which runs her school and many others. What happened to this woman doesn't just affect her, it affects all victims of domestic violence. It shows them that being honest about what is going on in their lives may only increase their suffering and that's just not right.

Watch to learn more about this story

Do you think this mom should have lost her job?

by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 8:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:00 AM
This is gonna happen more and more. I live near where the spa shooting was. It was brought up would she have been hired if they knew just how violent her ex was.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GOBryan
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Heard about it this morning. I don't know what to say. Having her in the school while her husband is on the loose is jeopardizing lives so I can understand them not wanting her back. If he's going to be in prison and she can manage to handle the situaiton, I believe she and the kids should probably be relocated to another school.

She tried to work things out because she didn't want to be a statistic but that only made things worse.  

elkmomma
by Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 3:15 PM

I'm all for protecting the kids.  However, the school could have acted differently other than fire the teacher who already had protection orders and what not.  May be transfer her to another school?   I doubt there is any right or wrong answer for the school in this story.   This is not the first time things like this have happened either, not every one goes to the press.

Annabel1809Lee
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Isn't this illegal? Firing her for the actions of another person? I would put the local police officials on alert with a description of his vehicle. As if things weren't hard enough on her and the children now she has no income and her children will have to attend a different school than the one they attended all their lives. 

This is not right. What if a man had a violent ex-wife? Would he be fired and his kids kicked out?  

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 14, 2013 at 5:38 PM
This is why women need to be picky who they date and marry. I see SO many times on here of women dating someone abusive asking if they should stay with them or marry them. Most of them do.
Also some who are married with an abusive husband saying they love them. Its all so sad. Wake up and see them before you are in too deep.
It is so sad things have come to this, but with more public violence it will probably happen more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NDADanceMom
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 8:52 PM

If they wanted to do the right thing they should have kept her on the payroll and allowed her a year to find another position.  

BellaByrdie
by New Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:01 PM
1 mom liked this

how about tell everyone she is fired and move her.   Because come on men snap far to often.   

They should fire her.  Help her move and help her find another job.  ONe where her husband doesn't know where she is. 

What if he came to school and opened fire.  Killing her, her students and anyone in his path as he heads to his kids.  and then you heard about this.  you would probably wonder how he was allowed to be around.  

They should "fire" her and move her and help her get another job. 

littlelamb303
by Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 12:36 AM

NO, she should not have been fired and her children should not have been kicked out of the school.  Her nut case of a husband needs to be locked up though. This was a Catholic school and I am not surprised they did this.  I was a Catholic School teacher for 20 yrs and I saw many things that were totally wrong and unethical. Too much to post here, but shame on them.

bhow
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:53 AM

I would hope the school could be a bigger influence in getting her and her kids the protection they need from that man.  I don't know what to think.  I get the idea of protecting "the rest of the kids" but what about her and her kids? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)