Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

First family outrageous cost of their African vacation

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Record cost between 60 and 100 million for a VACATION. Just crazy in our economic times. Oh, they they won't do a safari because that would add to the cost. Nice of them, (sarcasm)
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 16, 2013 at 7:29 PM
I trust that more then the president......they trained people who are sharp shooters to shoot the big animals if needed
.. nothing shocks me anymore with this family. ..and your blind if you can't see through them

Quoting marchantmom06:

Oh yes the news reported it, so it must be true!

Quoting Anonymous:

I just put an article up.  Yep, it does cost 40 mil+. 

Quoting marchantmom06:

That's bullshit, no vacation cost even a million dollars, much less 60, but by all means lets believe the idiots who get paid to berate the president.

IAMmomtotrips
by Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 7:41 PM

, this is not a vacation (it's winter in Africa, not the time for a visit! I went in may and it was freezing and rainy)...this is a state visit and as a person whose father works in South Africa as a expat, it is so needed. China is flooding the market there with their funds, which means American companies who make billions of dollars importing Copper, Mesonite, carbon black, etc, are being blocked to gain new drilling sites over the Chinese! My dad's company almost pulled out of Africa this year because of politics of the region is making it impossible for them to get their mine built. Then Obama announces this trip and miraclously the paperwork comes through!

And his company is not the only company there...American's bring home billions of dollars in product from Africa each year...

So for my die hard republican dad, this is the ONLY good thing Obama has done...and if it eases up their paperwork process it might just make him a slight fan (although he'll never admit it)...

And a funny little side note, my dad was an international fugitive from South Africa for about a month before this news was released...(he's the VP and they ordered a crane from an American company that did not work when it arrived), so dad's company refused to pay the bill until the crane was fixed. The US company refused to send in people to the DRC (democratic republic of the Congo), because it was too dangerous...dad's company refused to send it back through customs because of the bribes that have to be paid...the other company brought charges against my dad, the president, the company itself...they were arguing in court and none of the expats could leave the country, but after they confirmed this trip (and a few choice threats from the US Ambassador) all the sudden they are clear to travel and last week the US company and my dad's company were able to reach an agreement.
Diane1223
by Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:14 AM
1 mom liked this
Can't stand them!
julie492
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:55 AM
I get that its a ridiculous amount of money, but he didn't CHOOSE to have all this security, it comes with the territory of being president. What, he shouldn't have a vacation because he's president?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:19 AM
A vacation, yep fine. A $60 to 100 mil one? Not with the sequester. Go to Hawaii again. Tons cheaper.

Quoting julie492:

I get that its a ridiculous amount of money, but he didn't CHOOSE to have all this security, it comes with the territory of being president. What, he shouldn't have a vacation because he's president?

CristyK345
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:44 AM

The President has to travel.  Its part of his job to maintain good relations and form strategic alliances around the world.  They've all done it.  And the Secret Service determinies what security is needed depending on the location, duration and conditions in the host countries.  It's also been budgeted.  It's not a new line item.  This trip is high, tho, which is why its giving the talking heads something to yak about..   

DebnDrew
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:29 PM

I didn't say it was a business trip I said if your employer offered to pay for it, not that it was business. A company I used to work for gave us free airline tickets and hotel packages as part of our benefits and sign on bonuses.

So if that were the case, you would decline because it is not something you paid for yourself right?

Quoting Anonymous:

Business is different. Vacation and business trips are apples and oranges. Business is paid for. Vacation the normal human being pays for out of their pocket.

Quoting DebnDrew:

So if your employer offered to send you to Italy you would decline for moral purposes........good to know.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it is awesome to visit countries of heritage. On your own dime after you are out of office. We visited Italy on our own dime too. Awesome trip.

Quoting DebnDrew:

maybe I should have elaborated.....his heritage is Kenyan-American. Kennedy went to Ireland and no one complained, I don't know how many European American presidents have visited the countries of their heritage. So it costs more in our current spending to go to Africa. Does that mean he shouldn't visit the land of His forefathers and teach his children about their history?

Quoting Anonymous:

What does a black president have to do with anything here????????

Quoting DebnDrew:

please include the cost figures of previously 1st family vacations so we know it isn't just a rant from a bitter right wing nutjob who hates having a black first family that spends family time together.

our state legislature went into overtime for one day and it cost taxpayers more than 77,000......just for the DAY, and the reason nothing got accomplished is because the republican side shot down every agreement and basically refused to contribute.

Hello pot.....have you met my friend kettle?

GagaNTattooS
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:32 PM
He goes on enough.... it will e so nice in 3 yrs to get someone with class back in the white house.

Quoting julie492:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:36 PM
1 mom liked this
We as tax payers are really his employer. .. as his employer I don't remember agreeing to paying for a 60 to 100 million dollar trip... during a recession. ...and a sequester..hmm must of missed that memo...

Quoting DebnDrew:

I didn't say it was a business trip I said if your employer offered to pay for it, not that it was business. A company I used to work for gave us free airline tickets and hotel packages as part of our benefits and sign on bonuses.

So if that were the case, you would decline because it is not something you paid for yourself right?

Quoting Anonymous:

Business is different. Vacation and business trips are apples and oranges. Business is paid for. Vacation the normal human being pays for out of their pocket.

Quoting DebnDrew:

So if your employer offered to send you to Italy you would decline for moral purposes........good to know.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it is awesome to visit countries of heritage. On your own dime after you are out of office. We visited Italy on our own dime too. Awesome trip.

Quoting DebnDrew:

maybe I should have elaborated.....his heritage is Kenyan-American. Kennedy went to Ireland and no one complained, I don't know how many European American presidents have visited the countries of their heritage. So it costs more in our current spending to go to Africa. Does that mean he shouldn't visit the land of His forefathers and teach his children about their history?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting DebnDrew:

please include the cost figures of previously 1st family vacations so we know it isn't just a rant from a bitter right wing nutjob who hates having a black first family that spends family time together.

our state legislature went into overtime for one day and it cost taxpayers more than 77,000......just for the DAY, and the reason nothing got accomplished is because the republican side shot down every agreement and basically refused to contribute.

GagaNTattooS
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:40 PM
Heritage or black doesn't matter.. his blacknees never mattered . Everyone makes it an issue.. what matter is he sucks..

Quoting DebnDrew:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting DebnDrew:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)