Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

I Lie to My Kids About Getting Shots At the Pediatrician

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:07 AM
  • 14 Replies

I Lie to My Kids About Getting Shots At the Pediatrician

by Linda Sharps

A recent post over at the CafeMom forums asked, "Do you forewarn your children when they are getting a shot?" The overwhelming response was yes, most parents do tell their kids ahead of time if a pediatrician visit is going to involve a needle. Reasons vary from wanting to prepare the child to not wanting to be dishonest, and I'm more than a little hesitant to confess this but here goes: I have totally lied to my kids about shots.

I know, I know. It's deceiving and awful and I'm eroding their trust and … I know, okay? But let me try and explain.

Here's the thing: I never completely lied in the sense that I promised that they wouldn't get a shot. If I knew they were due for a vaccination or flu shot whatever, what I said is that we're going in for a checkup to make sure they're healthy and that they stay healthy. When the question was inevitably asked if the visit would include a shot, I would say that I wasn't sure.

The reason I did this is because the alternative was so, so, so, so much worse. My oldest son has had a lot of trouble dealing with the anxiety of anticipation, and while he's much better than he used to be (oh my god, the balloon phobia he had as a toddler. Because they can pop, you see, and no one knows when that might happen), knowing that a shot is in his near future takes the freakout that would normally happen as soon as the needle makes an appearance and stretches it into a much longer affair. The entire drive to the doctor's office, the waiting room, etc. The last time I tried to prepare him for a shot -- by describing how fast it would be over, how important the medicine was, how I'd be right there and we'd get Happy Meals afterwards -- he was so worked up by the time the actual shot came it was … well, it was bad. I can only imagine that his high levels of distress made the actual pain of the shot hurt more, because he'd built it up so much in his head.

His hysteria would get his brother wailing, and the whole thing would just spin out of control. So I started lying about it, because in my mind, a last-minute meltdown was much preferable to an hours-long horror movie.

I haven't had to confront this specific issue in a while: last fall they got the mist instead of shots for their flu vaccinations, so we managed to avoid the needle phobia dilemma altogether. Maybe next time I'll be up front about it, now that my son's older. But maybe not. Because even though it's not a truthful approach, I feel like saving a kid a lengthy panic attack isn't such a bad thing.

How do you deal with kids and shots? Do you tell them it's coming ahead of time?

by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this
I told mine. My 22 yo still cries.
tamullen607
by Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:04 AM

I tell them I'm not sure because I can never remember if they will be getting one or not. So it's the truth when I tell them I'm not sure.

bluebunbun
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:47 AM

i say yes if I know for sure if I think so I say most likely if I have no idea I say IDK....

heydooney
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 8:36 PM
1 mom liked this
I remember once when I got mine, I had a Fruit Roll Up in my pocket. I just held onto that because I knew when the shot was over, I got my roll up, lol. Mom never bought those, so it was super special!
skittleshawk
by Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:05 PM

just keep shooting them up with posion. go ahead and bash someone had to say it. I also would never lie to my kids its not right,i treat them like humans.

MommyTo2Boyz
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:46 PM

I always tell them that they might get a shot, but they might not.

themomof3boys
by Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 7:08 AM
I just tell them I'm not sure.
Momofmenagerie
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 7:25 AM
If I know, absolutely! The difference is, they have seen me get multiple shots and they know it hurts because pain I looks like pain on anyone's face. My older son now takes them like a troopers, I expect in will still take my younger son 3-4 yrs to put on a stoic face.

But, again, they've seen me get shots in some highly painful places ( steroid shots in the neck) and the see the I DON't cry, but that Mommy DOES get shots it they aren't a torture device made up for just children.
Momofmenagerie
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 7:38 AM
No bashing, If you don't vax, fine.
However, many antibiotics work faster when a shot is administered along with and oral solution. If you don't believe in medication at all,with all sincerity, good luck to you and your children.

Quoting skittleshawk:

just keep shooting them up with posion. go ahead and bash someone had to say it. I also would never lie to my kids its not right,i treat them like humans.

skittleshawk
by Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 9:47 AM

i never said i dont beleive in medication at all and i dont know why you would make such a statement.Do you have proof to back up your statement about antibiotics?i always give my kids nautural remidies first.that will almost always cure what they had but if not i do take them to the doctor.

Quoting Momofmenagerie:

No bashing, If you don't vax, fine.
However, many antibiotics work faster when a shot is administered along with and oral solution. If you don't believe in medication at all,with all sincerity, good luck to you and your children.

Quoting skittleshawk:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)