Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Stars and Stripes Challenge Day 6: Take a Tour!

Posted by   + Show Post

Are you looking for things to do with your kids over summer vacation? Today's challenge is to explore the country and experience some of our nation's history!

Take a day trip or small getaway to visit historical sites, museums, or national parks. Not only will it be fun for your whole family, but it's a great way for your kids to learn new things!

travel

What are some local historical sites or national parks near you? Are you planning any vacations this summer?

Click here if you missed yesterday's challenge. If you haven't signed up for the Stars and Stripes Challenge you can do so here.

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:28 AM
Replies (11-20):
JenE1098
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:03 PM

We live just about 30 mins from Philadelphia, so rich with history.  My children, 9 and 10, have asked numerous times to go into the city to explore Ben Franklin's steps, see historic items, visit the Liberty Bell.  So, we'll have a few days trips into Philly and of course have some delicious cheese steaks for lunch!

la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:53 PM

We live near Washington DC. We visit a few times a year.

rmcghee78
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 5:56 PM

I live in Dothan, Al. The only thing they have here, is called landmark park. It cost too much to get in. I just take my little girl to the Library or to the beach. A museum is a good Idea, though. I am gonna look into it.

1sttimemom12
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Guilford Couthouse battle ground is near me. Went to oak island this summer. 

marge1964
by Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:06 PM

No vacations this summer, like the past 8  yrs. No money to do anything. Bank is foreclosing. There are many places to go around here. Gettysburg is very close and Baltimore and other places are a few hrs away.

kgalvano
by Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:04 PM

we are not planning any vacations this summer. im going to check into the historical sites and national parks. its a good idea.

ChezBelle
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:58 AM

We live near several national parks:  Yosemite, Kings Canyon, and Sequoia.  We are planning to take a couple of day trips up into the Sierras to get away from the heat--probably to Sequoia.

Also will be heading to the DC area for a memorial service for my SIL.  Hope to also go to the WWII Memorial and the Holocaust Museum while in the area.

batjmom
by Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 6:52 AM
We don't have any national parks by us.
DissieDothe
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Whether you got the "memo" or not ... most states have closed many historical sites due to budget cuts. Check it out before you go.

We plan to go on vacation later this summer.

Angela4boys
by Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:41 PM

We are about 25 miles from our state capital, Raleigh.  We're planning on going to the Beaches of NC this summer, and seeing Cape Hatteras, and visiting, Wrightsville.  We're looking forward to it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)