Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Sesame Street: P is for Prison

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:23 PM
  • 19 Replies
Has anyone else heard about or personally seen the new Sesame Street videos about learning to cope with feelings about your parent being incarcerated? There's online activities at SS's website AND apps teaching the kid and other parent how to deal with incarceration. I'm on the fence here because I truly understand that this is something many kids will face, or have already faced, and that their parents aren't bad people or bad parents because of going to jail. But at the same time, its basically tellin kids to accept jail as a possible outcome; or that jail is OK.

Opinions?
http://www.sesamestreet.org/parents/topicsandactivities/toolkits/incarceration

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sesame-street-incarceration/id652147551?mt=8
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momofmenagerie
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:41 PM
2 moms liked this
My opinion is it happens. It's something that no adult knows how to explain and many don't want to deal with. Death and divorce were dealt with well. Sesame Street usually does an exceptional job at dealing with sensitive issues.
kailu1835
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Absolutely ridiculous.
xxshelbyxxx
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 6:51 AM
Yeah you're right.. I guess I just haven't wrapped my mind around sesame and prison mixing.. But I know one too many who've had this happen to them

Quoting Momofmenagerie:

My opinion is it happens. It's something that no adult knows how to explain and many don't want to deal with. Death and divorce were dealt with well. Sesame Street usually does an exceptional job at dealing with sensitive issues.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 18, 2013 at 7:53 AM
Sadly too many kids and parents are in jail or will go.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:17 AM
2 moms liked this
Maybe Sesame Street should focus on shows on how to keep kids out of jail then teaching them to accept it...
diospira
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:31 AM

It is sad, but since the US has the highest incarceration rate in the world, it is just a reflection of the reality many have to deal with.

25% of all the prisoners in the world are in American jails

Moms Against the New World Order

Marimaru
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 2:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm pretty sure that Sesame Street was originally created to feel 'familiar' to kids who's home life situation wasn't great.  This kind of goes along those lines, so I don't see an issue with it.

For those of us who have kids who probably never have to experience this, we can just use it as a conversation starter about what other people may be going through.  We don't watch a ton of Sesame Street though, so it may not come up here, at least not because of that.

Clairwil
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:15 PM
Quoting xxshelbyxxx:

But at the same time, its basically tellin kids to accept jail as a possible outcome

Opinions?

I don't see the alternatives, of not talking about it, or telling the children that the children should be ashamed, as improvements.

WWMRD?

What Would Mr Rogers Do?

(source)

Episode 1101

Mister Rogers arrives with a wooden pentagon which he describes by counting the sides. Moving to Picture-Picture, Mister Rogers shows viewers a very short film about fish before deciding to look at the fish in his own aquarium.

In doing so, he notices a dead fish laying at the bottom. Mister Rogers carefully removes the fish and attempts to revive it with salt water. Unfortunately, the fish does not respond. Using a paper towel to wrap the fish, Mister Rogers prepares to bury it in his yard.

Quietly moving outside, Mister Rogers finds a spot to lay the fish to rest. He then reflects on the sad feelings he had as a child when his dog died and the difficulty he had in saying goodbye to his pet.

Back inside, Mister Rogers talks about his memories of his dog and shows a picture of her to viewers before singing Sometimes People Are Good ("Sometimes people get sad"). Heading into a time of make-believe, Mister Rogers lifts up the Trolley to show its wheels.

In the Neighborhood of Make-Believe, Lady Aberlin and Bob Dog become concerned when the Trolley stops moving. Dr. Bill Platypus is brought to the track to check on the Trolley and determines that the Trolley simply had a wheel come off the track.

Back at the house, Bob Trow helps Mister Rogers use the wooden pentagon to create a marker for the spot where the fish was buried.

Inside, Mister Rogers sings Some Things I Don't Understand and talks about this importance of talking about your feelings and how everyone responds differently to sad feelings.

Momofmenagerie
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:27 PM
It's ONE EPISODE, not the whole season.
Should Mr. Hooper have gone on vacation instead of dealing with his death?

Should divorce never have been addressed?

Muppets do a much better job in explaining sensitive and painful subjects than an actual parent does, actually.

Quoting Anonymous:

Maybe Sesame Street should focus on shows on how to keep kids out of jail then teaching them to accept it...

DebnDrew
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 8:33 AM
1 mom liked this
well, they are teaching letters and numbers out of the barrio and their local angry neighbor lives in a garbage can. I think frankly if that is the crowd they are performing to, jail may be more likely than not.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)