Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Should obesity really be considered a disease?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 72 Replies

The American Medical Association officially designated obesity as a disease on Tuesday – a disease that requires medical treatment and prevention.

Do you think they're right to make this decision? Should obesity really be considered a disease?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 19, 2013 at 9:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 19, 2013 at 9:15 AM
4 moms liked this
Not in every case. If you eat and eat with no medical reason which most do, no. The diseases obesity causes, yes.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 19, 2013 at 11:53 AM
4 moms liked this

What?

That's right up there with caffeine addiction being a disease.

Some things you CAN control. Some you can't.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 19, 2013 at 11:59 AM
2 moms liked this
Yep, a lot is under control of the person. Less than 10% is medically proven through a blood or medicine they take. Then some is food addictions. Other is people being lazy, not exercising and not eating right. 2/3 of adults are overweight or obese.

Quoting Anonymous:

What?

That's right up there with caffeine addiction being a disease.

Some things you CAN control. Some you can't.

berlgirl1224
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this
No
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:32 PM

YES   it is

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 19, 2013 at 5:23 PM
Insurances are starting to charge more if you are obese. They have been for years if you smoke.
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 5:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I disagree. There are medical conditions that cause weight gain, but weight gain is a symptom, not the condition itself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 19, 2013 at 5:41 PM
3 moms liked this
I agree, depression, eating disorders, thyroid issues, and just plain overeating and being couch potatoes. Obesity is not the disease.

Quoting polkaspots:

I disagree. There are medical conditions that cause weight gain, but weight gain is a symptom, not the condition itself.

nodramamama311
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 5:48 PM
Only if there is a legitimate medical reason that you are overweight should it be considered some kind of handicap. Other than that no, people can control their weight if they choose to, I'm not saying its easy just that it's doable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 5:53 PM
3 moms liked this
The first three are legitimate medical conditions that cause weight gain. But in those instances the problem is not obesity, obesity is caused by the medical conditions or treatment.
Obesity by itself should not be considered a disease.

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree, depression, eating disorders, thyroid issues, and just plain overeating and being couch potatoes. Obesity is not the disease.

Quoting polkaspots:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)