Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Moms Who Think Drugs Make Them Better Parents Must Be High

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 9:42 AM
  • 32 Replies

Moms Who Think Drugs Make Them Better Parents Must Be High

by Ericka Sóuter

pot party
The moms dig into a cannabis-infused three-course meal.
Being a mom is hard. Really hard at times. Even after our little ones start sleeping through the night, playing independently, and finally understanding the command "go to sleep," we moms are still perpetually exhausted. It took me years to finally accept that is what it's like to be a mom -- always pulled in a million different directions thanks to family, work, preschool auctions, recitals, playdates, etc. I've accepted it as just a way of life. Not so for everyone.

A group of Beverly Hills moms proudly admit they've turned to marijuana to cope with this constant frenzy. In fact, it goes beyond the occasional puff-puff in the bathroom when the kids are asleep, with the window open and a towel rolled up along the bottom edge of the door. These women are having lavish dinner parties with pot as the preferred main dish.

Among the most popular menu items: cannabis leaf salad, chicken fried in cannabis oil, and marijuana milkshakes.

These 'marijuana moms' come from various walks of life (some stay-at-home wives of wealthy businessmen, some bartenders and waitresses) but have one crucial thing in common. They say smoking weed, which is legal with a prescription in California, makes them better parents and wives. How, you say? Well, it enables them to relax and stay calm, not angry, and be less stressed. One woman even swears it saved her marriage.

Many say they initially began using to deal with pain or side effects from an illness, then realized the added personality benefit. While I think being relaxed and calm is a good thing, I am not so sure this is the best way to accomplish it. Isn't this essentially just parenting while stoned? And I am not against their right to use marijuana through a legal prescription. That drug has helped many people suffering from illnesses like cancer and with chronic pain. But should we be nurturing and tending to our children in a constant drug haze?

Some of these moms admitted to using several times a day. It's one thing if you have an anxiety disorder or some other issue that is helped by the drug, but it sounds like an unnecessary crutch otherwise. One pro-pot mom compared it to how mothers in the 1960s used Valium to help them cope with the daily emotional strains of running a household. But that doesn't justify it in my eyes. Both examples are equally worrisome. Not because I think the drugs are dangerous to your health, but rather because it sets a bad example -- for other moms.

Being a mother is an emotionally and physically taxing job, but we should find ways to adjust to that new circumstance that doesn't involve drugs. If you need something to “get you through” parenthood every day, that's a problem that marijuana will only mask, not fix. Isn't it better to go to therapy or find some way to get more help with the kids than to turn to this? All moms deserve to be happy and I would hope there is a way to accomplish that without drugs.

Do you think smoking pot can make you a better parent?

Click here for video

by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 9:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
D.O.E.
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 7:27 PM
3 moms liked this

to me, marijuana has the same effect as prozac. or zoloft. it works as a mood stabilizer, i'm not going to lie, i suffer from depression and anxiety/panic attacks.

when i get stressed out to a certain point, i cant just calm down, the stress just escalates, and you all know what thats like, a bad day that just gets worse and worse.

2-3 puffs ofa joint and i can calm down. i am less stressed, i yell less, ect. 

i dont use daily, just when needed. i do not think it impairs my ability to parent

Mamie_85
by Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 7:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Pot is on it's way to becoming legal in all states. It's really no big deal. I've seen so much worse from mothers that drink.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 19, 2013 at 7:38 PM
Hell no, we are as a nation going to hell. Wait till Mom's are getting infants or toddlers high. Or something happens and they are too high to drive a kid to the ER.
D.O.E.
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 8:03 PM
2 moms liked this

exactly what do you think happens when a person smokes weed? its not heroin, doesnt fuck you up like drinking does..........

Quoting Anonymous:

Hell no, we are as a nation going to hell. Wait till Mom's are getting infants or toddlers high. Or something happens and they are too high to drive a kid to the ER.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 19, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Well lets see I as stoned out of my mind as a teen and parents still hired me to babysit. Hell one 'cool' parent would pay me and my bff afterwards instead of cash giving us a bag of pot. I quit smokeing when I was 19. I got a contact high once after that. Then other then the occassional 'shotgun' nothing for the past 10 years. If anything as an adult on those rare occassions I actally got up and cleaned the whole house because the constant pain I live with with lessened and I felt good. (I legit live in pain, the cartledge between some of the disks in my back is detorated, and I ache from the 100s of bones I've broken from my osteogenisis imperfecta. Not to mention any of the other problems likely caused by my disease)

kailu1835
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 8:12 PM
4 moms liked this
Yes I do. Same as taking antidepressants can make you a better mom. Pot is about as natural as you can get, with zero processing required.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 19, 2013 at 8:32 PM
Ok. Whatever you say. Why smoke it if it doesn't do somethingt to ya???

Quoting D.O.E.:

exactly what do you think happens when a person smokes weed? its not heroin, doesnt fuck you up like drinking does..........

Quoting Anonymous:

D.O.E.
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 8:52 PM

i already stated, it acts as a mood stabilizer. when used in moderation it can actually be beneficial. i can tell you the long list of meds i would be on other wise.

once i was prescribed some crazy strong drug for simple panic attacks, the pharmacist was the one who told me exactly what the drug would do, which was basically knock me on my ass for 12 or more hours. after that i said fuck this shit, i tossed the script and got some weed instead.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting D.O.E.:

Quoting Anonymous:

KimmieLu
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 9:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Having a legitimate medical issue that needs treatment is one thing. A mom that's just stressed out by her kids? Welcome to parenthood. If you want to smoke or drink or whatever, who cares. But don't use motherhood as an excuse. Especially if its illegal in your area. That teaches your kids to disrespect and disregard rules and regulations. I think its a total cop out to say you need to have a weed salad because your kids are sooooo stressful. Its a trendy fad thing for these moms and is just stupid to me.
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Medical MJ doesn't make you high. I don't get the eating though...that takes an hour to take effect.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting D.O.E.:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)