Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Stars and Stripes Challenge Day 8: Helping Others!

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 12:54 PM
  • 51 Replies
1 mom liked this

Embrace the spirit of community! Find a local organization that matters to you and volunteer your time. Do it on your own or make it a family affair, today's challenge is to help others!

Here are some local places that may need volunteers:

• Food bank
  • Animal shelter
  • Nursing home
  • Homeless shelter
  • Library
  • Public parks
  • Put together fundraiser walks and runs for organizations like the Wounded Warrior Project
  • Help with a toy drive for less fortunate kids

shake hand

Do you do any volunteer work? Where are places near you where you could volunteer? What lessons have you taught your kids about volunteering?

Click here if you missed yesterday's challenge. If you haven't signed up for the Stars and Stripes Challenge you can do so here.

by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 12:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ChellBell2013
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 1:01 PM

We do alot of voulenteer work threw hubbys work :$ my kids are def involved as well

la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Food bank & DV shelter

I have also read to the elderly

Moms_Angels1960
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 1:32 PM

I don't do it anymore sice dd is out of elementary but I used to volunteer through her school for various things.

We could try the food bank, the library, picking up trash at the park would be good things to do and I want to sign us up to learn to do doggie walking at the animal shelter.

Manda_martin99
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 4:08 PM
I need to get back into volunteering.
ninamsi
by Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 4:15 PM

I work for non profit and volunteer for some of our events.  My kids love to volunteer as well.  We visited a nursing home in December with our church.  I'm trying to organize more events like that.

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 7:39 PM

We donate to charities and the animal shelter. The boys observed us volunteering at scouts, church,  and in the schools.

DissieDothe
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 8:15 PM

I like volunteering at the places where the recipients are encouraged or allowed to volunteer. I have taught my kids that being a recipient of someone's selfless service is a humbling act of kindness that inspires all of us to succeed equally.

1sttimemom12
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Yes, I do do volenteer work. I volenteer with the Red Cross and CERT(Community Emergency Response Team...tactical medics/firecrew attached with local police dept). I think the kids around me are taught that we all have an ablity to help others and should because we're all on this earth together.

Nerys-Kianna
by Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 8:59 PM

I give canned food, baby food (unopened), diapers (my baby boy outgrew) to a local pantry for fellow military families.

marge1964
by Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Our Humane Society used to have a junior volunteer program. My son volunteered there for a year until they changed things with their policies and didn't allow anyone under 18 to volunteer.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN