Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

WTF did you just say? Do you allow your kids to curse?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 136 Replies

My neighbor lets her 9yo say whatever she wants, including swear words. She says she's taught her that it's not okay to say them at church or at school, or to use them to call other people names with, but otherwise, it's okay. For example, she came in today and asked, "Who the hell let the dog get in my room?"

Would you be okay with that? Do you let your kids curse?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 19, 2013 at 2:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 19, 2013 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this
No
auntangelofsix
by Angel on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:20 PM
No
dingysfamily
by Suzi on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:31 PM

When they were little, & under my household ... No.  Now they are adults and I have no control over what they do or say. 3 of them rarely cuss at all, 1 almost never and she has to be really really losing it to say something (she is a very strong Christian and a youth leader at our church).  Our oldest dd & ds unfortunately do cuss more than we'd like.  Our son is a DC cop and it's about all he hears; he is my son by my 1st dh and that man also had a foul mouth so ds also hears it from him.  It almost is like a 2nd language to him.  He knows I don't like it and he knows we don't like it being used in our home; he tries to watch it, but still sometimes (more than we'd like) slips around us and in our home. 

goatmom4
by Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:34 PM

if   we are having a bad day  we slip and say o few words   but they are younge adults we dont swear infront of our elders or anything   i got scared during   thunder   said  sh@@t  but then we knew why the thunder had ben ear splitting  we all jumped

Momofmenagerie
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:36 PM
3 moms liked this
Nope' actually , my 14 yr old will correct me if I say smarta** instead of smart aleck even as a joke. I've taught him WELL! I have a toddler and teen will ask me to not even say " crap" when tot is around ..., he right, I guess so we have come up with " monkeybutts" as a silly substitution.
My teen is allowed to watch PG 13 movies but was taught at eleven that certain words were "adult words "
I do not believe he will ever utter one past ass or maybe damn.... He's very careful about who he hangs with ( including none of the kids in the neighborhood ) modesty is also a big deal. When at age five, he used to yank up my tank tops ( basic scoop necks) I'm very curious to see whohe decides is an appropriate girl to be interested in....
LEY1307
by Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:42 PM
No
coffeebynight
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 4:35 PM
3 moms liked this

i have always spoken like a very well educated sailor. i try to watch my mouth around my 2yo but sometimes slip. he has repeated me before and i explain to him that i used a bad word and i am sorry. now he corrects me if i slip up, and i love that. i dont allow him to curse and he fully understands that.

HollyHobbie76
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Nope. I'm 37 years old and I still do not curse in front of my mother or any of the other older members of my family. It's simply a matter of respect, and I expect the same from them as they get older. I'm from the old school, I guess LOL 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 19, 2013 at 7:33 PM

I let my kids watch movies/tv or listen to music with swearing, if it's in moderation. DH and I swear as does his family. They're around it and used to it. My DD has only said one bad word once and she felt so bad about it she immediately told me. They know what "bad" words are and not to say them until they turn 18 (MIL's rule for SIL, boy was she a sailor for the first year...but it's loosened up a LOT and she's back to being her modest self). 

newwifenmom
by Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 11:06 PM

I will not allow him to curse.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)