Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you allow your child's school to do an iris scan or is that going too far?

Cafe Steph
Yesterday at 11:11 AM
What are you doing this weekend? - CafeMom

I'm going to spend some time with my family this weekend, starting with Grandmother's funeral, then celebrating my

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 9:18 AM
  • 9 Replies

Schools Are Using Scary Big Brother Tactics to Track Our Kids

by Jeanne Sager

iris scanParents in Polk County, Florida are hopping mad this month after the local school district did iris scans on their kids without their permission. Wait, let me repeat that. A school district did iris scans on some 750 kids.

Ahem, Big Brother? He has arrived. And he's trying to collect some pretty detailed biometric information on CHILDREN!

Forget, for just a moment, the whole kerfuffle over whether parents in Polk had a chance to give permission for this pilot program. Permission is almost beside the point ... I want to know why would school districts need to do iris scans on kids anyway?

Are they storing gold bars in schools these days?

Weapons of mass destruction?

With identification of kids coming down to something so personal, you'd think so ...

The folks down in Polk, where this whole "iris scans on kids" scandal has blown up, say they were going to use the biometrics to keep track of kids on district school buses. Kid steps up, gets his (or her) eyes scanned, and it records that they've boarded. Considering the number of "kid on wrong bus" stories we see in the news, I can see why districts are trying new things.

But there are plenty of options between depending on kids to remember what bus to go on and the Orwellian collection of personal data from our children.

Once schools start allowing companies in to scan a kid's eyes, the potential for that information to be misused is great. Who knows what will be done with it ... or whose hands it could end up in.

Our kids have plenty of time to end up in the "system" when they're older.

The schools can keep their scanners out of my kid's eyes, thank you very much.

Would you allow your child's school to do an iris scan or is that going too far?

by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 9:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
berlgirl1224
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 9:19 AM
Too far. That's crazy
elkmomma
by Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Interesting.  If they do this with every kid does that mean they'll increase school hours?  That would take about 45 min at my kids bus stop.  Now I'm  wondering what will be next?  Will they now install the TSA full body scanners too?

boobarandbell
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:02 AM

What ever happened to the clipboard and pencil and check off their name as they board the bus? I taught for 10 years, it was pretty effective becasue i did my job correctly. 

They do NOT need to do an iris scan of our children. That's ridiculous. It's over the top "big brother'. Leave our kids alone. I really don't think they are telling the whole truth here. My first guess was that some big company is paying the school to use our kids as guine pigs to test soemthing they later plan to sell to a government for profits (a governement, not necessarily ours either). No, i'm not a consipiracy therorist, but this iris scan of our children raises serious red flags. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 20, 2013 at 3:58 PM

No way, no  how would they be allowed to do that on my child. Just another reason why my child will NEVER step foot in the public schools.

GertieK
by Silver Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 8:46 AM

This is obviously over the line.  What parents need to be concerned with are the things that they are not aware of.  Big brother is well established in our schools.  Parents are no longer the ones who have the power over their children.  Girls, of any age, can get the morning after pill or an abortion, and do it without your knowledge or guidance.  It is almost too late, and in many areas, way past too late, for parents to remain the ones in charge of their own children.  Something as simple as in my state, a baby born in the hospital, is not legally your child until a pediatrician "releases" that baby from the hospital and essentially gives you "custody". 

1plustwinsmommy
by Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 1:30 PM
Sounds like overkill. Just get a clipboard and check the kids as the get on and off.
Godgaveme4
by Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 6:25 PM
No I would not.
SWasson
by Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 6:37 PM

If a science or comp. sci teacher wanted to demonstrate how an iris scan works, or how the programming behind this security works, I'd have no problem with it, but HOW inept do you have to be to NEED to scan kids' irises to manage the buses? 

GertieK
by Silver Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 10:31 AM

This has nothing to do with keeping your kids safe.  It may be the reason given, but it is NOT the truth.  It will allow your children to be part of a data base very early on in their lives.  Adults would pitch fits if they were expected to allow this to happen to them - but when the concept of "keeping our kids safe" is thrown out there it gives them added leverage... makes you look like you don't care about kids if you object.  You may think I wear a tin foil hat but the government has grown so large, and in order to maintain the control they are seeking, our kids are a major part of the whole.  I personally do not trust one part or branch or area of the government.  The amount of corruption and the depth to which it has gone that is being revealed these days is not only disgusting, but terrifying.  I am afraid for my grand kids.  The bottom line is that it is all about control.  When a group of people, no matter who they are, have control of our children... they have the reins.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)