Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

do you think high school students who wish to participate in sports should have to pass a drug test?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 113 Replies
Why or why not?
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 22, 2013 at 10:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 10:47 AM

No.

Drug use is not an indication of desire and ability for teamwork or athletic ability.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 22, 2013 at 10:54 AM

yes - keep them off drugs

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 22, 2013 at 11:15 AM
4 moms liked this

Here they have random drug testing if you are in clubs, sports or anything of that sort.  Intramurals too.  I love it.  My dd that is 22 passed 2 tests.  What were the odds of getting drawn 2 times in 3 years out of 2000 kids.  My dd that is 19 never had to do it. 

If you have nothing to hide, why now pass.  Who really wants their kids to be drinking or doing drugs of any sort?  Why not know??  You are kicked out of sports and all clubs and your parents notified.  No cops are involved.  They randomly test about 10 each Monday from what my dd's told me. 

JTROX
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 11:17 AM
2 moms liked this

Yes.  Our school district instituted that policy last year.

Keeping kids off of drugs is always a good thing.

dingysfamily
by Suzi on Jun. 22, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Yes it is ... use of drugs/alcohol can be disruptive to the teamwork and a persons athletic ability; as for their desire, if they have a real indication of desire then they won't be messing around with drugs/alcohol.

Quoting EireLass:

No.

Drug use is not an indication of desire and ability for teamwork or athletic ability.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Thinking back to when my kids were in high school. The majority of the baseball team were MJ smokers. They were top in the state. All went on to college, and some went on baseball scholarships.

Why don't they test them for alcohol?

Quoting dingysfamily:

Yes it is ... use of drugs/alcohol can be disruptive to the teamwork and a persons athletic ability; as for their desire, if they have a real indication of desire then they won't be messing around with drugs/alcohol.

Quoting EireLass:

No.

CatFishMom
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 7:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep. If you want to play, dont do drugs. Thats how it is on professional leagues (ha, yeah, like they ever enforce it unless theyre put on the spot, but it is the rule), drugs are illeagal and if youre using illegal substances, you have no business being allowed on a team.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 22, 2013 at 7:40 PM
And that makes it ok???? Ummmm, not.

Quoting EireLass:

Thinking back to when my kids were in high school. The majority of the baseball team were MJ smokers. They were top in the state. All went on to college, and some went on baseball scholarships.

Quoting dingysfamily:

Quoting EireLass:

No.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 8:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think kids should drink or use drugs.

I also don't think it's necessary to test for it.

I wonder why they don't test for alcohol?

What is really behind this?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting dingysfamily:

Quoting EireLass:

No.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 22, 2013 at 9:04 PM
They test for alcohol and drugs here.

Quoting EireLass:

I don't think kids should drink or use drugs.

I also don't think it's necessary to test for it.

I wonder why they don't test for alcohol?

What is really behind this?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting dingysfamily:

Quoting EireLass:

No.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)