Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

What makes a good father?

Posted by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:22 PM
  • 8 Replies

I had a huge fight with my sons father today he thinks he is a wonderful dad when he only sees our son twice a month (his choice) I offer him extra time he very rarely takes it. He also says he pays his cs so because of those two reasons he says he is an awesome dad. I disagree...

What is a good dad to you? 

by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 22, 2013 at 5:02 PM
Spending quality time with kids makes a good dad.
newwifenmom
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 6:29 PM

I think the main part that makes a good dad is the effort put into it. Spending time, actually parenting and not just playing with the kid, providing or doing all you can to provide for the child, being a role model...

dingysfamily
by Suzi on Jun. 22, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Being there for your kids; showing them you love them - by actions, not just by 'buying them things'; telling them you love them & are proud of them; spending quality time with them; providing for them (this doesn't mean giving them everything they want either, but providing what they 'need'); setting a good example; showing them you love their mother.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 22, 2013 at 10:10 PM

did we divorce the same man?

But the answer is no. My husband (my son's stepfather) is a good dad. He coaches our son's sports, goes to EVERY SINGLE game, school event, or anything else my son has. But he's THERE, and i don't mean in the physical sense. He's up with him in the middle of the night if needed, he's taken him to doctor appointments when i can't, he knows all my son's likes and dislikes, knows his medical history. It's not becasue he lives with him, it's becasue he's involved. He's been dad since my son was 3. seven years later, and even my son knows who is 'real'. 

My ex is the definition of deadbeat, except that he sometimes pays child support. But when my ex has to ask my son what grade he's going into? That's ridiculous. I used to try to impress on my ex the importance of spending TIME with my son, but he doesn't. it's his loss. 

thatgirl70
by Carin on Jun. 23, 2013 at 12:31 AM
My DH is not able to be home all the time due to his job, however you will not meet a more loving dad. He calls everyday to talk to him and when he's home he spends a lot of time with him. He doesn't always take him places like I do (but since he's gone so much it's understandable that he doesn't always want to leave the house).

In any case, I couldn't ask for a better man to be a dad.
villagemamma
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Having a passion for his children above all else. Having a want and a need to provide love and support on a day to day basis.

rachellaree20
by Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Spending quality time with children, loving them, being there for them as they grow up and helping them when they need it.

TheLadyAmalthea
by Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 2:25 AM

A good dad to me is a man who plays with My Little Ponies and puts on pink clothes when his little girl asks him to. A good dad is a man who helps his son fight crime with a cape. A good dad is a man who provides for his children, whether it be food, clothing, shelter, or a shoulder to cry on when something hurts. And even when a man can't be home for his children due to his job, he can still be a good dad. Phone conversations, Skype, even letters makes a good dad. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN