Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it wrong to tell your girls they're beautiful?

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:30 AM
  • 165 Replies

A friend of mine said she doesn't tell her daughter she's beautiful because she doesn't want her to grow up thinking her looks are the most important thing. Instead, she focuses on telling her she's smart, strong, talented, etc. Do you think that's right? Or is she sending the opposite message, telling her daughter she's ugly simply by never telling her she's pretty?

by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
supermommie1
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:41 AM
9 moms liked this

I tell my daughter she is beautiful about 100 times a day, but that is not the only thing I say, I always mention to her how creative she is, and how wonderful she thinks so fast!

I let my daughter know she is funny and smart and beautiful all the time. 

Toxic.Stardust
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:42 AM
2 moms liked this

I tell them they're beautiful every single day

bzzybeemomof3
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:56 AM
5 moms liked this
I get her point. But I don't agree. I tell my girls they are beautiful and pretty. I tell them they.are smart and talented also.

ermka
by Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:03 PM
9 moms liked this
I tell my girls they're beautiful all the time. I don't think the word beautiful is a word that just describes their looks though either.
NDADanceMom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 2:23 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm not against telling my daughters they are beautiful but it really isn't a focus of anything. Being responsible, smart, funny are all more important to our family.
coupon_ash_back
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 2:24 PM
4 moms liked this
I tell them they are beautiful, smart, helpful, and important everyday.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 24, 2013 at 2:57 PM
Being obsessive yes. Anything obsessive isn't good. Every once in a while say to them they are beautiful is fine.
MrsMiles85
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 3:04 PM
2 moms liked this

I tell my daughters they are beautiful all the time.  They are 6 and 3.  I think she has a valid point, it's not ALL about looks and they need to be encouraged in other ways also. Honestly right or wrong, I tell them how gorgeous they are or how smart they are all the time and I don't think about the consequences.  It's just a natural thing for me to do and now that I think about it, I don't think they will be sitting on some psychologists couch later on because "mommy told me I'm pretty", so to hell with it.  ;)

Stephd710
by Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 3:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I tell my girls they are both pretty and smart.  If they look cute, I tell them "you look cute in your dress" or "Your hair looks pretty".  When they learn new things or tell me things they figured out on their own I say "good job!  you are so smart!"  They are 2.  

KimmieLu
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 3:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I tell my daughter she's beautiful all the time, and I always will. My parents told me all the time how smart and funny and creative and blah blah blah I was.. I was rarely told I was pretty as a child, and I had major self esteem issues about my looks/body as a teenager. Not saying that was the cause or that my parents did anything wrong... but there should be a balance to things. Telling your daughter she's beautiful won't make her grow up to be a b****.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)