Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms of 10-12yr old girls, HELP!!

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:30 AM
  • 11 Replies
Why does EVERYTHING I DO embarrass her???? This morning I took her to day camp, in my running clothes, she was like mortified and all she could say was that it embarrassed her because no other moms were dressed like that. WHO CARES? Geez, I try to be understanding because I know it's her age but I don't remember being that way, to that extreme. She cares way too much what complete strangers think. Sometimes it's so frustrating I want to scream at her. I guess she'll grow out of it but I wish she would now!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:42 AM
Its our job to embarrass our teens and preteens, LOL. She does need some self esteem and not worry so much. All teens do to an extent but if it is extreme that is a problem.
What s wrong with running shoes? She cares wayyyy too much.
nurse1997
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Its a kid thing they do get over it dont take it personel dont you rember those days I was the same way and all of my friends  !

bzzybeemomof3
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:02 PM
DD is 11 and has not hit that stage yet. But I have taught my kids not to care what others think of them or their family. So they don't care what anyone else thinks.
nodramamama311
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:29 PM
I thought I taught her that and sometimes she doesn't care but then lots of times she does, I guess it's her age. It's so frustrating though!

Quoting bzzybeemomof3:

DD is 11 and has not hit that stage yet. But I have taught my kids not to care what others think of them or their family. So they don't care what anyone else thinks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 25, 2013 at 8:42 AM

I haven't experienced that with my 12yo or 13yo girls. They don't really care too much about what other people think, having already learned that someone is always going to judge them no matter what they wear/don't wear, do/not do.

nodramamama311
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:28 AM
I thought I had taught her that. We talk a lot. My daughter is extremely intelligent and mature for her age, unfortunately she has a lot of her bio dads mentality in her that's going to be a struggle for her I'm guessing throughout her life. Like I said to the previous replier, sometimes she'll not care but more often than not she will. I wish I could just get her to not care all the time.

Quoting Anonymous:

I haven't experienced that with my 12yo or 13yo girls. They don't really care too much about what other people think, having already learned that someone is always going to judge them no matter what they wear/don't wear, do/not do.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GarysWife1991
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:39 AM

I used to alway walk my 10 year old to the bus stop until this past year where she said it's not cool for moms to do that.  It's just a stage and all we can do is laugh.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:59 PM

I don't know what I did or didn't do that helped make them that way, but I don't think it's something I really taught so much as something they just learned. I don't know if I just seem to be that way to them and they modeled after me or what, but I'm glad they're like that. They both have a lot more self esteem than I had at their ages. I hope they never lose that. With your daughter, though, maybe you can try talking to her about why she cares and what she thinks will happen? Maybe that will help you guys discuss why it matters so much to her.

Quoting nodramamama311:

I thought I had taught her that. We talk a lot. My daughter is extremely intelligent and mature for her age, unfortunately she has a lot of her bio dads mentality in her that's going to be a struggle for her I'm guessing throughout her life. Like I said to the previous replier, sometimes she'll not care but more often than not she will. I wish I could just get her to not care all the time.

Quoting Anonymous:

awesomeamylynn
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 4:11 PM

My 12 year old is kind of going through the same thing, so I know how you feel. The only difference is my 12 year old is obessing over every little thing that SHE says, does, and how she looks. I had to hide the Nair from her because she kept obession about wanting to constantly shave her legs and I don't think that is good for her. 

acrogodess
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 3:01 PM
I am sorry. I wish I could offer some advice, but neither my 12 yr old son or 10 yr old daughter have reached the stage where I embarrass them just by breathing yet. *crosses fingers*
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)