Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Dad Turns His Kid In to Cops for Crime Spree: Would You?

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 8:41 AM
  • 13 Replies

Dad Turns His Kid In to Cops for Crime Spree: Would You?

by Jeanne Sager

arrestedCops investigating a series of break-ins at some Florida schools got a break in the case they probably weren't expecting. One of the four kids responsible came to them ... with his stepdad leading the way. Yes, in 2013, a father turned in his own kid (and prompted the arrest of three of the kid's buddies) for stealing.

Can I get a hell yeah for Dad? Four kids, ages 10 to 14, are now facing some real punishment for an ill-advised alleged crime spree through their local school buildings.

There were other options here.

This stepdad could have sat his son down for a talk about how "stealing is bad, m'kay?" and they could have hugged it out and sung Kumbaya. It would be very 2013.

He could have called up the schools and played Let's Make a Deal, bartering the stolen goods for some slap on the wrist.

Or -- and let's face it, some parents would do this -- he could have ignored his gut, pretended those items magically appeared in his kid's bedroom.

He could have done any and all of those. But he didn't. He called the cops. As he told a local paper:

The little ones need to learn that you can't steal and you can't lie.

Truer words are rarely spoken. Maybe I impress easily, or maybe I've just seen too many helicopter parents making all the wrong choices, making things too easy for their kids ... and teaching them nothing in the long run.

But parents taking a hard line like this are to be commended. You do your kid a greater service in the long run if you take these matters seriously, and dole out serious consequences.

It's not pleasant to think of your kid as a thief. It's even more unpleasant to think of them tangling with cops. But what this dad did was stop his kid short, show him that bad behavior will not be acceptable.

As parents, that's our job. We need to teach our kids that bad behavior won't get them anywhere in life. Fixing the problem for them doesn't teach that; if anything, it does the opposite. It sets them up for a life of screw-ups, with the expectation that someone will make it right for them.

The four kids in this case -- 10 through 14 -- are still young enough that they have time to learn, time to be guided back to the straight and narrow path we all want our kids to fallow.

What this stepfather did was risky. His stepson could end up hating him, his wife could hate him, who knows. But at the end of the day, he did the right thing.

Would you do the same?

by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 8:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GertieK
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Yep.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:00 AM
Yep
wingsfan1234
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:03 AM

yup

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Id honestly probably be the mmkay parent but that's bad :| ugh my baby in jail no! :(
EmilyBrooke915
by New Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 5:27 PM

I would for sure turn his ass in.

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 5:34 PM

I hope to never know what I'd do in this situation. I would either turn him in or discipline him at home. Ideally I'd turn him in but I can't realistically say I'd do that.

dingysfamily
by Suzi on Jun. 26, 2013 at 6:56 PM

I know I would have.  I'd have wanted him to learn his lesson early on, before he got too far into the 'life of crime' where prison was the option!

Morticiah
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Hello NO. I don't care what my kiddo does... you stick up for family. I would live for them, kill for them, and gladly die for them. Same for my friends. It's the italian in me! 

GertieK
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 8:53 AM

The more the kid get rescued from the consequences of his crimes, the worse it will get, and the crimes will escalate.  Italian or Irish or Chinese - all parent's first inclination is to protect their kid(s).... but the more you do, the bigger the chances are that you will be visiting him in prison, or visiting his grave.  We have too many parents either turning a blind eye to what they see, and all you have to do is look at the prisons and the population growth to know what excusing and supporting something you KNOW is immoral at the least, and illegal at the worst will result in.  AS parents, it is our job and responsibility to raise our kids to be honorable, honest, and trust worthy people. 

Morticiah
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:09 PM

We are all biologically wired to protect our children, to protect our young and our families. Humans and animals both. It's nature.

Getting the law involved is the worst thing to do, especially for a child at a young age. Once you get the court system involved, the less control you have over your child(ren). I've seen it happen time and time again. It goes way beyond consequences.

As parents, it's our job to protect our kids and arm them with the help and tools they need. Responsibility begins at home. If you can't take responsibility for your child's behavior, then you shouldn't be having kids.

Honor begins at home, having pride in your family and children, protecting them. Narc-ing on them and turning them in in order to "teach a lesson" is counterproductive and hurts more than it helps.

The system breeds criminals; it does not rehabilitate them. 

That being said, I am from a completely different culture. I am assuming most of you are american. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)