Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

I refuse to celebrate the baby of a 14yo!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

A friend's 14yo is pregnant and the friend is throwing a way over the top baby shower for her, celebrating her first grandchild as if there's nothing horribly wrong with the fact that the baby's mama is only 14. I care for my friend and her daughter and hope things go well, but I can't in good conscience attend a party to celebrate this event.

Would you throw a shower for your 14yo? Would you attend a shower thrown for a 14yo?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 27, 2013 at 9:26 AM
Replies (71-80):
sexysiren1983
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with you. But I would go just to be a good friend.

Morticiah
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:29 PM
4 moms liked this

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting Morticiah:

Well what do you expect the fourteen year old to do? Put on a Little House on the Prairie-type dress, hang her head in shame and not celebrate her pregnancy? 

Or have her shipped off to one of those pregnancy farms for nine months while she awaits the birth? Should she be shunned because of her age? 

In life we are presented with situations that are unfavorable. Yes, some, like this, are avoidable and shouldn't have happened to begin with. But it takes guts to suck it up and make the best of the situation. Go big or go home. She has every right to celebrate the birh of her child, as a fourteen year old or as a married 28 year old with a summer home and a white picket fence. her family has a right to celebrate it as well. Birth should be celebrated, no matter how crappy the circumstances. 

If you don't like it...don't send a gift. Hell, don't go. It's a party and a CELEBRATION, and I'm sure they wouldn't want a negative nelly there.

I would expect her to choose adoption.  I would go to the baby shower held for the adoptive parents.

Your expectations don't matter. Adoption isn't always the best route. Sometimes children end up in way worse situations. Sometimes they end up with a happy family. There is no way to predict the outcome.

It's her decision. She's not choosing adoption. She's taking responsibility. You don't have to like that or agree with it. But I would suggest that you respect that decision.

lapcounter
by Gold Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:30 PM
No and no.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kaim
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:30 PM
Well I have mixed feelings about that, because kids shouldn't have kids. But, I think her soon to be child, and grandmother might need the help. I certainly wouldn't let one of her friends give a shower and have it be some party for kids. I would have close friends and family attend and maybe one or two of her pals.
Lovin_mybaby5
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:30 PM

I would send them a gift...but I wouldn't go..I think that is glorifying the fact that she got knocked up so young

Nichole134
by Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:31 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't know about baby shower....... but she does need a good swift kick in the ass!

justahousewife
by Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:31 PM
2 moms liked this

If for some odd reason one of my girls got pregnant at 14 the baby would be loved and cherished but I doubt I'd go advertising it with a shower. Frankly I think I'd be embarrassed and really question my parenting skills.

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:32 PM
Whatever. *shrugs* Public tax dollars are going to end up supporting this girl anyway, at least until she is old enough to get a job on her own, (considering she isnt even old enough to get a job), that's gift enough. The rest of us are paying exorbitant amounts on our insurance premiums, the girl and her baby will get Medicaid. Huzzah for her.

Quoting junebaby11:

Yes because that helps the situation so much you're poor taste and disgusting

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

No. I think the entire situation is in poor taste. I wouldn't even buy so much as a pack of diapers. That's disgusting.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:32 PM
I couldn't celebrate that either. However if this friend was a very close friend then I would get a necessity for the baby. Necessary clothes, diapers or wipes, etc. I had a friend that kept a BabiesRUs gift card held back just in case she needed diapers and didn't have the money.
Morticiah
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:34 PM
9 moms liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

Yay lets celebrate the girl being a whore and not giving the child the life it should have! Most likely the girl will dump her baby off on her parents and the baby will grow up thinking that their grandmother is her mother! EVERY single young "mother" (and I am talking 13-15 yo) has pawned their child off on the grandother of the child. Rediculous! This in NOT ok people! Open u your damn eyes and see this! ugh

Figures you are anonymous, so i'm going to take this  with a grain of salt.

She's fourteen years old, she's not a "whore". Way to make brash assumptions and the slut shaming is unbelievable. We should be SUPPORTING other females, not insulting them and bringing them down, especially not a teenager!

And you have no idea what the fourteen year old will do. She will obviously needs help and support from her parents, as we all do when we are pregnant, but that doesn't mean she's going to become a statistic.

I honestly can't believe the judgement going around in this thread! I would hope that those of you who spew this negativity have daughters that would feel comfortable talking to you if something like this was to happen to them. But I shudder to think...

This is sad. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)