Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Should Students Be Required to Take Drug Tests?

Posted by   + Show Post

Come and join the fun at the:sunglasses mini

KymberleeAnn's Corner for African American Women

Or the Adorable Ladies group

www.cafemom.com/group/118327

www.cafemom.com/group/118542 Adorable Ladies Link

by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:18 PM
Replies (41-49):
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Wouldn't you know if your child was on drugs? If you had any suspicions, wouldn't you just do a random test at home? I feel like it's a parent/child issue, not a school issue.

Quoting MommyKir:

I would like to know if my kids were doing drugs.... so yes but I feel like as a parent you can not allow it for your own child... I think it should be a choice to opt out.....

MommyKir
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Yes I would hope that I would know.... but lets face it kids do things all the time without their parents knowing...We simply can not hover over them 24/7.  I am saying that if the school decided to randomly drug test I would personally have no problem with it, and I would hope my child would not either, at least if they had nothing to hide anyway. Do i think that they should all start doing drug testing right now? no not really, but if they did start it i wouldnt be upset. And i think that to make it reasonable for everyone that parents can opt out of it for their kids. that way no one has let their kids get tested. they have the choice.

Quoting EireLass:

Wouldn't you know if your child was on drugs? If you had any suspicions, wouldn't you just do a random test at home? I feel like it's a parent/child issue, not a school issue.

Quoting MommyKir:

I would like to know if my kids were doing drugs.... so yes but I feel like as a parent you can not allow it for your own child... I think it should be a choice to opt out.....

newwifenmom
by Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Only for activities

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Well, the way everyone talks in here, we'd all know when someone's on MJ as they really can't act normal (eye roll). I would always expect my kids to act like kids/teens and try things....I would be naive to think they'd never think about it. If they chose to try it on a Friday night and decide they never wanted to touch it again....why should they go through the angst of being labeled forever....if they were to be tested the following Monday. I think schools should teach the students, not police them. As the parent, it's my job to police my kids.

Quoting MommyKir:

Yes I would hope that I would know.... but lets face it kids do things all the time without their whyparents knowing...We simply can not hover over them 24/7.  I am saying that if the school decided to randomly drug test I would personally have no problem with it, and I would hope my child would not either, at least if they had nothing to hide anyway. Do i think that they should all start doing drug testing right now? no not really, but if they did start it i wouldnt be upset. And i think that to make it reasonable for everyone that parents can opt out of it for their kids. that way no one has let their kids get tested. they have the choice.

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting MommyKir:

I

heartstander
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 3:50 AM

Not without a warrant, children dont leave their rights at the schoolhouse gate.

villagemamma
by Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 4:11 AM

No i think that is crossing the line for the government to insist on that. If they are not exhibiting any behavioral issues or causing any sort of problem than what business is it of theirs.

Not to mention the gigantic waste of funds that should be gong into expanding the education of our students.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 30, 2013 at 6:53 AM

If they are in college and need financial aid, are in health care, being a mechanic of some type, working on aircraft or have a scholarship yes.

KymberleeAnn
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:12 AM

I so agree with you here :)

Quoting heartstander:

Not without a warrant, children dont leave their rights at the schoolhouse gate.

MommyKir
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:29 AM
1 mom liked this

That is where our opinions differ. I would not expect my children to touch drugs, I never have and I certainly hope they do not. I have seen too many people's lives ruined by "just trying' them which turned into a once in awhile to full blown use many times, hell my sister lost her kid  from a "i just want to try it" deal, freaked out over meth and hallucinations and everything. I do not expect everyone to feel the same as i do and respect your opinion on it i just disagree, and with what i said, my opinion is you could opt out of testing for your child, so if you dont HAVE to let her kids get tested but can i don't see a problem with that. I could not be there with my kids 24/7 so if this would be an extra insensitive to stay away from drugs I would be more then willing to take it.

Quoting EireLass:

Well, the way everyone talks in here, we'd all know when someone's on MJ as they really can't act normal (eye roll). I would always expect my kids to act like kids/teens and try things....I would be naive to think they'd never think about it. If they chose to try it on a Friday night and decide they never wanted to touch it again....why should they go through the angst of being labeled forever....if they were to be tested the following Monday. I think schools should teach the students, not police them. As the parent, it's my job to police my kids.

Quoting MommyKir:

Yes I would hope that I would know.... but lets face it kids do things all the time without their whyparents knowing...We simply can not hover over them 24/7.  I am saying that if the school decided to randomly drug test I would personally have no problem with it, and I would hope my child would not either, at least if they had nothing to hide anyway. Do i think that they should all start doing drug testing right now? no not really, but if they did start it i wouldnt be upset. And i think that to make it reasonable for everyone that parents can opt out of it for their kids. that way no one has let their kids get tested. they have the choice.

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting MommyKir:

I

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)