Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

My mother is in her early 50s and she loves taking naps. She techincally lives alone (her parents live downstairs) so she can nap whenever she wants. She doesn't really have a hobby. She just loves to eat and sleep, smh. Now that school is out, she has all this time off and continues to think of food and sleep. She may take a little walk every now and then, but she doesn't really do much. I try to tell her to ease up on the naps and keep moving around, find a hobby, but she swears naps are the best, especially two + hour naps. I feel this is so wrong. I have a one year old and I am a SAHM and feel I rarely need naps, especially THAT long. In school they taught us that if we are to take naps, they should be only about 20-30 minutes (power naps). It is hard for me to fall asleep for a nap anyway.

What are your thoughts on naps as an adult?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:43 PM
Replies (21-30):
---terrah---
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:52 PM

I think that each person is different. Some people thrive on more sleep than others. I'd have your mom schedule a routine physical. If everything comes back okay...I'd let her be. Maybe just try to come up with things to do to get your mom out of the house more. Ask her to go with you when you take your LO to the park or ask her if she wants to go to the mall with you etc. 

DeLaLi
by Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting DeLaLi:

Oh well she does have high blood pressure. Then again she doesn't have the biggest eating habits anyway.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting DeLaLi:

While school is in she'll sleep during weekends since she obviously can't during the week, but she sleeps a lot at night. Her job is more mentally draining than physically. She walks only a few blocks to the school she works at, lol. She will usually nap two + hours, longer than my grandpa that's in is 80s with a heart issue. It's just a bit much imo. I really doubt she's in any way depressed.

Quoting Anonymous:

I am around your mom's age and I love taking naps about 3 days a week.

I get up at 5:30 and go to bed at 10:30, rarely sit down all day, usually walk for at least an hour or two and some days when I can I really look forward to my nap (usually about an hour).

Is your mom depressed? Does she sleep well at night? 

You are right that being active is important. I think your mom's lack of activity might be more concerning than the naps. Good for you for being worried about your mom's well-being.

Has she been to a doctor lately? Is she on any meds? Does she seem tired during the day?

If she dosn't have any medical conditions to worry about, I'd try and get her to exercise more. Maybe get her to go for a walk with you? Or ride a bike? Exercise is so important for health. Use it or lose it.

Good luck! 

zzz

If she has high blood pressure, she probably could lose some weight. Invite her to the park! Maybe she just needs some company and some motivation.

She loses weight during school, then she gains it over the summer because she stays home and eats. I do not live by her. If I did, I doubt there will be any concern at all.

CafeMom Tickers
DeLaLi
by Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Quoting NDADanceMom:

I'm a pregnant teacher. My youngest child is currently 11. Summers off, big growing belly.... I will let you guess what i think of naps!

Well THAT makes sense, lol.

CafeMom Tickers
Connorsmommy13
by Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:59 PM

I am 29 and my medical condtions and consent pain sometimes makes naps needed...now that my son is home I doubt it will happen, but I havent been able to havea good nap since I had to put my cat down in december He always laid with me...crap here comes the tears!

DeLaLi
by Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Quoting Momofmenagerie:

My thoughts are as long as it isn't depression, she's welcome to nap. I love a nap..... Anytime I can get it!

It's sounds like she's a teacher.....so she deserves to catch up on her sleep as much as she darn well pleases. Not everyone needs a hobby.

She is NOT a teacher. If she was a teacher I can understand being a little more exhausted during the week and getting more rest during the weekends, but that still does not make it ok, imo, to take the whole summer that she is off to do hardly anything with herself. Like previously stated, she will just sleep and eat then take some time to walk here and there or go in the car with her father to where she needs to go, which is usually just to buy a few things at the market. She says she will come with me a few places over the summer, but idk because she likes to cancel a lot. I truly believe everyone has a hobby, or in other words something that they like to do constantly. Unfortunately, I just do not see shopping as a hobby. She loves to shop, but I do not see her interested in anything else, except going to do her hair and nails, which equals to spending money once again.

CafeMom Tickers
DeLaLi
by Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Quoting Connorsmommy13:

I am 29 and my medical condtions and consent pain sometimes makes naps needed...now that my son is home I doubt it will happen, but I havent been able to havea good nap since I had to put my cat down in december He always laid with me...crap here comes the tears!

Off topic, but I lost my cat last year and it broke my heart. I always say it was my fault, when in actuality it wasn't. Very sad. Sorry for your loss.

CafeMom Tickers
Momofmenagerie
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 11:32 PM
Sorry, saying " school's out" doesn't always mean being a student.
Your tone seems frustrated, perhaps with no one in particular, perhaps with me.

Regardless, unless she is depressed and does not get up, or sleeps days at a time.....naps are acceptable after age five.

Quoting DeLaLi:

Quoting Momofmenagerie:

My thoughts are as long as it isn't depression, she's welcome to nap. I love a nap..... Anytime I can get it!

It's sounds like she's a teacher.....so she deserves to catch up on her sleep as much as she darn well pleases. Not everyone needs a hobby.

She is NOT a teacher. If she was a teacher I can understand being a little more exhausted during the week and getting more rest during the weekends, but that still does not make it ok, imo, to take the whole summer that she is off to do hardly anything with herself. Like previously stated, she will just sleep and eat then take some time to walk here and there or go in the car with her father to where she needs to go, which is usually just to buy a few things at the market. She says she will come with me a few places over the summer, but idk because she likes to cancel a lot. I truly believe everyone has a hobby, or in other words something that they like to do constantly. Unfortunately, I just do not see shopping as a hobby. She loves to shop, but I do not see her interested in anything else, except going to do her hair and nails, which equals to spending money once again.

hagwestcoast
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 10:13 AM
1 mom liked this

Some people need more sleep than others, and saying that it is more mentally than physically tiring you can be just as tired from that, sometimes more, I understand that you are concerned, but, it sounds like you have some animosity about it, or something,

Momofmenagerie
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Mobile Photo

newwifenmom
by Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 5:07 PM

I nap maybe 1-2 times a week for an hour. This is much less than when my son was less than a year, I used to nap with him daily. I needed the rest. I feel like if you need rest, get it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)