Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

My mother is in her early 50s and she loves taking naps. She techincally lives alone (her parents live downstairs) so she can nap whenever she wants. She doesn't really have a hobby. She just loves to eat and sleep, smh. Now that school is out, she has all this time off and continues to think of food and sleep. She may take a little walk every now and then, but she doesn't really do much. I try to tell her to ease up on the naps and keep moving around, find a hobby, but she swears naps are the best, especially two + hour naps. I feel this is so wrong. I have a one year old and I am a SAHM and feel I rarely need naps, especially THAT long. In school they taught us that if we are to take naps, they should be only about 20-30 minutes (power naps). It is hard for me to fall asleep for a nap anyway.

What are your thoughts on naps as an adult?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:43 PM
Replies (31-40):
godsgirl26
by ♥ char ♥ on Jun. 29, 2013 at 5:56 PM

I feel within the day adults should take naps. I dont know what a nap is now that i have kids.

Cindy18
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:01 PM
1 mom liked this

You need to keep your nose out of your Mom's naps. 

She is 50 and can do whatever she wants.

Cindy18
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Mental stress is very tiring. Stress is stress it doesn't have to be physical.

Quoting DeLaLi:

Ok soooo number one, I was told the nap info when I was in college, prior to having a child. Number two, my mom had her mother to take care of me so she never napped. She worked and at that time her job was easier, so I'm sure she didn't really need naps anyway. The thing is although her current job is more demanding, it's more mentally draining than physically. She works close to home (walking distance), and sleeps many hours at night (more than eight on average).

Quoting hagwestcoast:

probably a suggestion of power naps would be the fact that you have young children that you are responsible for, hello, I am thinking that is probably what your mom did when she was responsible for you as a young child, but obviously, she must have done fine, 'cause, here you are, all grown, and finding it hard to just let mom be, when you get to be 50, see how you feel about it then, lol, I understand that you think there are better ways she could be spending her time, but, I am thinking she must disagree

DeLaLi
by Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Quoting hagwestcoast:

Some people need more sleep than others, and saying that it is more mentally than physically tiring you can be just as tired from that, sometimes more, I understand that you are concerned, but, it sounds like you have some animosity about it, or something,

The only thing that bothers me is the fact that she isn't close by so she'll get opportunities to come out and see us or go places with us, but then she'll cancel. She wants to get fit, but she does not put in the effort. She lives upstairs from her parents, but does not really spend time with them. Thankfully now she helps them out since she is home, but that is mainly what she'll do if she isn't spending money. I, for the most part, do mind my own business and let her be, it just concerns me because I know she can do more than just eating and sleeping for the majority of the time she is off from school.

CafeMom Tickers
DeLaLi
by Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Quoting Cindy18:

LOL just because she is 50 she can do whatever she wants? Any adult, no matter the age, can do whatever they want. I am not saying otherwise, neither am I trying to force her to do things she does not want to do. All I am thinking is that she is still young enough to keep active and not spend her days off sleeping and eating. Whoever thinks that is ok, does not know what ok is. I have her best interest at heart. I mean hey, she is my mother. I have seen what not taking 100% care of yourself has done to people and I just do not think it is wise. I am sure she is capable of finding more things to do during the entire two months she is off from school. It is unfortunate that I live a decent amount of time away from her otherwise I would take her on walks with LO.

CafeMom Tickers
DeLaLi
by Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Quoting Cindy18:

Mental stress is very tiring. Stress is stress it doesn't have to be physical.

Quoting DeLaLi:

Ok soooo number one, I was told the nap info when I was in college, prior to having a child. Number two, my mom had her mother to take care of me so she never napped. She worked and at that time her job was easier, so I'm sure she didn't really need naps anyway. The thing is although her current job is more demanding, it's more mentally draining than physically. She works close to home (walking distance), and sleeps many hours at night (more than eight on average).

Quoting hagwestcoast:

probably a suggestion of power naps would be the fact that you have young children that you are responsible for, hello, I am thinking that is probably what your mom did when she was responsible for you as a young child, but obviously, she must have done fine, 'cause, here you are, all grown, and finding it hard to just let mom be, when you get to be 50, see how you feel about it then, lol, I understand that you think there are better ways she could be spending her time, but, I am thinking she must disagree

I just to not think it is very wise to relieve stress soley with sleep and food. 

CafeMom Tickers
Cindy18
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:54 PM

You asked for opinions and then you say I don't know what I'm talking about......

Don't ask if you don't want to hear something that is different from your opinion.

Quoting DeLaLi:

Quoting Cindy18:

LOL just because she is 50 she can do whatever she wants? Any adult, no matter the age, can do whatever they want. I am not saying otherwise, neither am I trying to force her to do things she does not want to do. All I am thinking is that she is still young enough to keep active and not spend her days off sleeping and eating. Whoever thinks that is ok, does not know what ok is. I have her best interest at heart. I mean hey, she is my mother. I have seen what not taking 100% care of yourself has done to people and I just do not think it is wise. I am sure she is capable of finding more things to do during the entire two months she is off from school. It is unfortunate that I live a decent amount of time away from her otherwise I would take her on walks with LO.

~~CINDY

DeLaLi
by Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Quoting Cindy18:

You asked for opinions and then you say I don't know what I'm talking about......

Don't ask if you don't want to hear something that is different from your opinion.

Quoting DeLaLi:

Quoting Cindy18:

I never said not to reply. You can quote me and say whatever you like. I accept ALL comments regardless if I agree or not. I posted this asking what do you think of naps as an adult for a reason so comment away!! Also, saying to keep my nose out of my mom's naps does not actually fall into the question I asked, buuuuuut I did accept that as well.

CafeMom Tickers
babie113
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 7:04 PM

im 28 i have a 4 yo who naps in facts hes napping now .usually i nap with him but most days anymore i dont . i nap maybe 2 times a week .i used to nap every day for as long as lo slept upto 3 hours when he was younger .now its about 1/2 hours .in spain everyone naps to avoid the hottest part of the day .so i dont see whats wrong with an adult napping

micheledo
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 7:06 PM

We are all different.  While the majority need about 8 hours of sleep, there are a few that can get by on 4 hours and a few at the other end, that need 12 hours of sleep a day.  No one is the same.

I have always been someone that needs 10 hours or more.  Granted I haven't had that in about 8 years.  :D  But when I nap, a 2 or 3 hour nap is what I need.  Power naps do nothing for me!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN