Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

My mother is in her early 50s and she loves taking naps. She techincally lives alone (her parents live downstairs) so she can nap whenever she wants. She doesn't really have a hobby. She just loves to eat and sleep, smh. Now that school is out, she has all this time off and continues to think of food and sleep. She may take a little walk every now and then, but she doesn't really do much. I try to tell her to ease up on the naps and keep moving around, find a hobby, but she swears naps are the best, especially two + hour naps. I feel this is so wrong. I have a one year old and I am a SAHM and feel I rarely need naps, especially THAT long. In school they taught us that if we are to take naps, they should be only about 20-30 minutes (power naps). It is hard for me to fall asleep for a nap anyway.

What are your thoughts on naps as an adult?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:43 PM
Replies (41-50):
DeLaLi
by Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Quoting micheledo:

We are all different.  While the majority need about 8 hours of sleep, there are a few that can get by on 4 hours and a few at the other end, that need 12 hours of sleep a day.  No one is the same.

I have always been someone that needs 10 hours or more.  Granted I haven't had that in about 8 years.  :D  But when I nap, a 2 or 3 hour nap is what I need.  Power naps do nothing for me!

I never napped before. I always was the type to sleep more than eight hours for sure so I know exactly what you mean. I napped when LO was younger, but I do not need them now. If I do nap, it is because I REALLY needed it since I did not sleep the night before. 

I guess my concern is due to the fact that she can sleep so long at night then nap so long during the day with hardly any activity going on during the day. As mentioned before, she has high blood pressure and wants to become more fit, but does not do anything about it. She sleeps and eats :(

CafeMom Tickers
TinaNicu
by Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:38 AM

She could have anemia. Also, as one ages, it is very common to nap during the day, especially if they are a fitful sleeper at night. 

SWasson
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 9:08 AM

It sounds like she does almost nothing, which could be a sign of clinical depression. If so, the naps are certainly NOT the problem, but a symptom. Is she on medications that make her sleepy after she takes them? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 30, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Quoting SWasson:

It sounds like she does almost nothing, which could be a sign of clinical depression. If so, the naps are certainly NOT the problem, but a symptom. Is she on medications that make her sleepy after she takes them? 

Good question. Is she on any meds, OP?
DeLaLi
by Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 12:32 PM
I'm afraid to talk to her about that. Ugh...she only takes high blood pressure pills. She's always hot. She gets moody. Idk what's going on with her.

Quoting SWasson:

DeLaLi
by Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 12:32 PM
Only high blood pressure pills.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting SWasson:

Good question.
Is she on any meds, OP?
bayliesmommy
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 12:36 PM
I'm 28 and I take naps. My mom is 46 and she takes naps. I love sleeping. I don't sleep well at night. So I take a nap like once a week. Usually about 2 hours.
achorney
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 1:02 PM

38. I nap all the time. So what? She naps? People who sleep more live longer.

achorney
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 1:02 PM

At fifty? Sounds like menopause.

Quoting DeLaLi:

I'm afraid to talk to her about that. Ugh...she only takes high blood pressure pills. She's always hot. She gets moody. Idk what's going on with her.

Quoting SWasson:

moobahlalala
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:13 PM
I just took one, but I'm in a lot of pain right now due to my jaw and wisdom teeth and nothing can ease it. I say listen to your body, and if sleep becomes excessive it might be time to check with a doctor.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)