Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

My mother is in her early 50s and she loves taking naps. She techincally lives alone (her parents live downstairs) so she can nap whenever she wants. She doesn't really have a hobby. She just loves to eat and sleep, smh. Now that school is out, she has all this time off and continues to think of food and sleep. She may take a little walk every now and then, but she doesn't really do much. I try to tell her to ease up on the naps and keep moving around, find a hobby, but she swears naps are the best, especially two + hour naps. I feel this is so wrong. I have a one year old and I am a SAHM and feel I rarely need naps, especially THAT long. In school they taught us that if we are to take naps, they should be only about 20-30 minutes (power naps). It is hard for me to fall asleep for a nap anyway.

What are your thoughts on naps as an adult?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:43 PM
Replies (51-59):
kpalmer282
by New Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:30 PM

I am all for naps i am a single mom and take care of 3 people my daughter and brother whis mental handicapp so yes when i get a chance i take naps

Country_Momma89
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:31 PM

I love naps.

TimetoMomUp
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Man, if I could take a 2.5 hour nap everyday, I would!  I am very active.  My day starts really early and ends late and I workout hardcore everyday.  I would love to make time in my schedule for a mid-afternoon nap!   My son will start preschool for one day a week in the Fall and I am actually thinking of using that time to catch up on sleep. 

mainecasey1
by Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:01 PM

This isn't unheard of in my family as well. My mom and mother in law both take afternoon naps when they can. Some of them are longer naps. I have to agree with another mom, being a mom and responsible for children running around, we don't often think much on naps, but we may think differently when our children are grown.

DeLaLi
by Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Quoting achorney:

At fifty? Sounds like menopause.

Quoting DeLaLi:

I'm afraid to talk to her about that. Ugh...she only takes high blood pressure pills. She's always hot. She gets moody. Idk what's going on with her.

Quoting SWasson:

It sounds like she does almost nothing, which could be a sign of clinical depression. If so, the naps are certainly NOT the problem, but a symptom. Is she on medications that make her sleepy after she takes them? 

Menopause is one thing. The fact that she isn't finding interest in anything else is another imo. That is why I posted this.

CafeMom Tickers
bzzybeemomof3
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:52 AM

I dont see why you are concerned with this. lol

People nap, some dont. My mom is 51 and she naps every night when she gets home from work and always has. Weekends she naps 3-4 times a day sometimes, I dont worry or care about it at all.

I used to nap every day for about 4-5 hours when the kids were in school. Now I have my 17 month old, who naps 11am to 3:30pm every day, and I can nap then, but I am usually in th epool or something.

auroraulfsson
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:46 AM

lol really.... who cares about someone nap schedule. If its not interfaring with her life then leave her alone. Shes done raised her kids and can do what she wants.

DeLaLi
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Quoting bzzybeemomof3:

I dont see why you are concerned with this. lol

People nap, some dont. My mom is 51 and she naps every night when she gets home from work and always has. Weekends she naps 3-4 times a day sometimes, I dont worry or care about it at all.

I used to nap every day for about 4-5 hours when the kids were in school. Now I have my 17 month old, who naps 11am to 3:30pm every day, and I can nap then, but I am usually in th epool or something.

I am sure you have not been keeping up with all the posts, but let me make this clear once again...

Yes, she is grown. Yes, she can do what she pleases. What concerns me is that she usually thinks to nap and eat during the summer when she can be doing soooo much more. She does not keep active and I have seen what that does to people (I see how my grandparents are and it is scary). She literally won't do anything. No outdoor activities, no indoor activities (except clean), no hobbies, no cooking, nothing. She won't pay for internet or cable, but that's not really a big deal. I don't know anyone else like this, not even at that age.

CafeMom Tickers
DeLaLi
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Quoting auroraulfsson:

lol really.... who cares about someone nap schedule. If its not interfaring with her life then leave her alone. Shes done raised her kids and can do what she wants.

Like I told the person above you...

Yes, she is grown. Yes, she can do what she pleases. What concerns me is that she usually thinks to nap and eat during the summer when she can be doingsoooo much more. She does not keep active and I have seen what that does to people (I see how my grandparents are and it is scary). She literally won't do anything. No outdoor activities, no indoor activities (except clean), no hobbies, no cooking, nothing. She won't pay for internet or cable, but that's not really a big deal. I don't know anyone else like this, not even at that age.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)