Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

I just want to be a better mom :(

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies
1 mom liked this
I feel like I'm not doing my best at the most important job in the world. I work a lot & I work nightshift so I'm tired a lot & not always in the best mood. I find I'm yelling at my dd a lot & not being the fun playful mom I would like to be. Now my dd is very rowdy & spoiled & a little hard to handle sometimes but I feel like I expect too much from her & I always feel guilty. I'm not beating her or anything like that just to clarify but still I just feel like I should be better at this. Maybe I've just seen too many tv shows where the moms are always happy when their children are colorin the walls & floors in crayon & pouring thing in the floor. Anyway I know there's not really anything anyone can do for me I just have to try harder but I wanted to vent a little.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 29, 2013 at 3:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Is your child safe? Overall happy? Being fed & clothed properly? Feeling loved? If you can answer yes to all these questions, then you are being a good parent. No one is the perfect parent and we all have to make choices to ensure our families are taken care of the best way we can. Sounds like you are a hardworker and you are feeling a bit overwhelmed with what you've got going on in your life at the moment. Take a deep breath and think about you're going to say to your DD rather than automatically yelling. And if she's done something naughty, then make her help you clean it up. And try and do fun things with her on your days off. It can be something as simple as taking a walk in your local park, getting a movie from Redbox and watching it together, etc. Just something where it's just you & her. Good luck.
nurse1997
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Hi doll relax being a mom is hard work and sounds like you are no different from any oither mom out there I work nights and there are times I want to crawl under a rock because im beat  than I rethink dam im lucky I can put a roof over my kids head and food on the table ;)  Here's a little story for u that will make u feel better before I switched jobs my husband worked nights I worked days he was so tired and I had 3 little ones he layed up against the door so the kids couldn't get out of the bedroom after he fed them and thats where I found him after I hit him in the head with the door !   Another story I went to work durning the day partime cleaned ,cooked ,U know mom stuff I drifted off on the couch and one of my kids ate a whole bottle of gummy vitamins shit happens u do the best u can in life no one is perfect and u roll with it good luck momma hang in there !   

NDADanceMom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 5:32 PM
Maybe have a quality time each day with her. Spend one hour just making her feel special.
DissieDothe
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:46 PM

You're okay if you are struggling to be the parent that you want to be. You're losing the battle if you start falling back on your mother's faults at parenting. It did not work for her and it will not work for you. If you feel bad when you make poor choices and not giving 100&, you're human and can conquer the ups & downs of parenting.  It's when you stop feeling the pain that you have deserted your dd.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:24 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank you all for your comments. It is reassuring to know that I'm not the only mom that struggles. I think a lot of what gets me is she's growing up so fast & I feel like I'm missing out on a lot. I just don't want her memories of me to be me putting her in time out. I did get some good news though, I get to go to a dayshift job soon & ill get up spend more time with her. :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:29 AM

I struggle with this as well!  I work full time, during the day, but still full time and I feel like evenings are always dinner, clean up, laundry, homework, never ever any fun time or relax time with my DD.  I am always rush rush rush and tired and exhausted.  I have always felt much guilt that I don't spend more time with my DD, and I don't want her memories of me to be that I did was work and never played with her.  I think my major problem, is what you said, she is growing so very quickly and I feel like I am missing her life!!  Don't beat yourself up!!  You are providing for her and working hard and one day she will know that and understand.  I agree with the others, just try and give her a few special moments of time with just you and her, make the most of the time you have, make every second count!!  We are such home bodies on the weekends because I tell everyone that is the time when I can finally relax and spend some extra time with DD, when we can forget about work, and the house, and just be a family.  Hang in there momma, you are not alone, and that is great news about the day shift, I hope that will be a better situation for you and your family!! :)

Bookwormy
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:35 AM
I wish i never yelled as well, but i do. However, my DD knows she is loved & when i blow it, i do apologize to her. I think when we adults make mistakes taking responsibility is a big deal. I have lots of opportunity to do so, lol.
angiejones256
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 5:34 PM

trust me theres many times i feel like i could be a better mom ima sahm right now till i can find a cheap responable bbysitter but its hard nowa days, and i have two kids VERY close to in age so trust me i find myself falling apart, all i do is walk away for 5 mins and breathe then i come back okay again try that. im sure ur a good mom. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)