Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

SHAME on my son

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 3:45 AM
  • 23 Replies
4 moms liked this

I think it's wonderful! If more moms and dads ACTED like moms and dads, this world would be a better place. ;) Thoughts?

by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 3:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 30, 2013 at 3:47 AM
I agree. Unfortunately, there will be those that don't.
Momofmenagerie
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 4:13 AM
1 mom liked this
I do NOT believe that public humiliation is the right way to get a point across to a child. This trend if signs and pictures, in my eyes, is pathetic parenting . It's like the stockades in renessiance period. Have we really gone backward in discipline by social media ( that's there forever, btw. The example is in the OP.

If you want to send a message, a bully should apologize to their victim(s) PERSONALLY.
Not bullying the bully by the same public and cyber bullying they are accused of. Same with any other " sin".

Lie, cheating, stealing, whatever.... It should be dealt with with the specific person they " transgressed against.

I find it pretty sad that the Internet has opened up a form of LAZY parenting. A sign and a pic and OP applauds this??? No volunteer hours (good for both sides. No personal apologies, no day to day consequences.... Just embarrassment and resentment from the child FOREVER. They'll forget this " lesson" by the way, and learn that parent does not have their best interest at heart.

To teach respect of other people, you have to have some respect for the freakin child!
It's LAZY parenting and I don't support it at all!!!
I support apologies, restrictions, spanking if called for, volunteer hours ...as many as the parent sees fit. I do not support the " Internet Stockades" that are so freakin popular. That's an emotional scar that a parent gave that won't heal. It won't ever be a funny Thanksgiving story..... It's evil and lazy.
MomOf3AngelBabe
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 6:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, Im sorry you feel that way about me, considering you dont know ANYTHING about me and didnt bother to ask. IDK whether this mom had the child give a GENUINE apology or not. A forced apology is as bad as no apology at all as far as Im concerned. But, thanks for passing judgment without asking. :)

Quoting Momofmenagerie:

I do NOT believe that public humiliation is the right way to get a point across to a child. This trend if signs and pictures, in my eyes, is pathetic parenting . It's like the stockades in renessiance period. Have we really gone backward in discipline by social media ( that's there forever, btw. The example is in the OP.

If you want to send a message, a bully should apologize to their victim(s) PERSONALLY.
Not bullying the bully by the same public and cyber bullying they are accused of. Same with any other " sin".

Lie, cheating, stealing, whatever.... It should be dealt with with the specific person they " transgressed against.

I find it pretty sad that the Internet has opened up a form of LAZY parenting. A sign and a pic and OP applauds this??? No volunteer hours (good for both sides. No personal apologies, no day to day consequences.... Just embarrassment and resentment from the child FOREVER. They'll forget this " lesson" by the way, and learn that parent does not have their best interest at heart.

To teach respect of other people, you have to have some respect for the freakin child!
I support apologies, restrictions, spanking if called for, volunteer hours ...as many as the parent sees fit. I do not support the " Internet Stockades" that are so freakin popular. That's an emotional scar that a parent gave that won't heal. It won't ever be a funny Thanksgiving story..... It's evil and lazy.

Momofmenagerie
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:05 AM
Hey, you posted that this picture was a show a good parenting job. I didn't say a WORD about you or your job as a parent, just that I find the particular form of punishment unjust that you said was good parenting.

I didn't disparage you in any way. I gave my opinion on the picture and made the correct assumption it wasn't you.

But thanks for appreciating my point of view of the punishment depicted in the picture and not taking it personally. :-)

Quoting MomOf3AngelBabe:

Well, Im sorry you feel that way about me, considering you dont know ANYTHING about me and didnt bother to ask. IDK whether this mom had the child give a GENUINE apology or not. A forced apology is as bad as no apology at all as far as Im concerned. But, thanks for passing judgment without asking. :)

Quoting Momofmenagerie:

MrsMiles85
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:09 AM

I like this idea. 

Bookwormy
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:17 AM
2 moms liked this
Shame on the parent for raising a bully. Probably because she shames & bullies him herself. Shaming him publicly will only backfire& make him a worse bully in the future. This is terrible parenting because he learns that it is a-ok to make others feel like crap.
NDADanceMom
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this
I would not use shame or pain to punish my child. There are better ways to teach compassion and respect. I work at the middle school and we have kindness retreats. Its a bullying impact group. Kids who are bullied tell their stories to bullies. We match kids that don't know each other. We don't make a kid face their bully.
The bully hears a story of shame, pain and even suicidal thoughts. They see a kid talk about how hard it is. Often every kid in the group cries because of the intense pain, including a bully.
Most kids aren't crazy. They don't want to hurt kids, they think its funny. When they hear what the real impact is, and what other kids think about bullying they realize they are causing real damage.
We also have guest speakers talk about facing their friends and family after they drove a kid to suicide.
Shaming a kid in public only makes him more angry. It is lazy.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 30, 2013 at 9:37 AM
I love it. Need more parents like this and we wouldn't have so many bratty and out of control kids. I believe it would work. The parents that talk to their kids in that high pitched sweety sweet voice when they discipline make me wanna puke. That does not work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nurse1997
by Silver Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 9:48 AM

What works for some kids might not work for another  people need to mind their own bizz unless its your kid  who knows what steps were taken before this mom did this !

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Quoting nurse1997:

What works for some kids might not work for another  people need to mind their own bizz unless its your kid  who knows what steps were taken before this mom did this !

This

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN