Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Unbelievable..... Do you think so too?

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:27 PM
  • 43 Replies
1 mom liked this
Recently in the news we have been following a man who is riding his bike to Georgia from New York to raise money for a little boy who suffered a traumatic brain injury. There have been many many people doing things to help pay for this child's medical bills.
But what gets me is the parents aren't working, neither one. I saw on their website where they travel out of town frequently to visit friends and family, most recently to the beach. The mom leaves daily to go work out at the gym or tan or go to out to lunch.

How can anyone ask people for money when they themselves are spending crap loads on frivolous things that the money spent could be going to their child. I just can't see giving thousands of dollars to someone who just spent a week at the beach in a big house laying at the pool while someone bikes over a thousands miles to raise money for their sick child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:29 PM
That does sound very odd. Fundraising is supposed to help the parents afford medical care, not pay for it entirely.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Tripp Halstead is the child that was injured. He's all over Facebook and they have a "team boom" thing going on, it's like this huge sensation, several people lined up in our county to wait for the bike rider to come by. The family met him in GA, where a hotel comped everyone's rooms, I can see giving the man riding a bike a room, but their whole family, no way. It's like they are using this poor child for money.

Quoting polkaspots:

That does sound very odd. Fundraising is supposed to help the parents afford medical care, not pay for it entirely.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:46 PM
That sounds terrible. I feel bad for the kid.

Quoting marchantmom06:

Tripp Halstead is the child that was injured. He's all over Facebook and they have a "team boom" thing going on, it's like this huge sensation, several people lined up in our county to wait for the bike rider to come by. The family met him in GA, where a hotel comped everyone's rooms, I can see giving the man riding a bike a room, but their whole family, no way. It's like they are using this poor child for money.

Quoting polkaspots:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cakepopprincess
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:03 PM
4 moms liked this

What id relly like to know is this:  WHAT HAPPENED TO THE COMPASSION IN THIS WORLD, or at least finding out the while story  before badmouthing another mother?   I'm sick to my stomach for this mom, and dont know her at all. I  have, however, read their facebook page, from day 1.  I'd like to suggest that the OP do the same, befor passing judgement in the future.   There is not 1 time that that family has asked for money. Not 1. (There was a "Fake profile" set up by some sick-o, asking for donations, etc, but it was NOT THIS FAMILY, and they had Facebook shut it down.). The father works EVERY DAY and the mother had to quit her job to stay home and take care of her 3 year old child that is functioning as a 3-5 month old at this point. She was working full time, and her child was in day care, where this accident happened, ( he was outside playing when a branch from a tree fell, crushing his skull.).   They can not afford a live in nurse.  The trip to the beach was a family vacation..  The WHOLE FAMILY goes. Grandparents, 2 or 3 grown children with their spouses, and multiple children.   They all rent a house, stay in the house and play on the beach. ( sounds like a pretty frugal vacation to me!) and not in Florida, California or another high profile beach resort.   The parents are currently living with their parents, and the  mother is going to the gym to work out and build up her strength so she can carry her child around and be strong enough to pick him up and care for him the rest of his life!   So what, she tans.  This boy does and will need 24/7 medical care, and she is the caregiver.  Every mom needs a break from her children....I know that I do, and my child doesn't require 1/2 as much care as her child will. He takes no food by mouth, is tube fed, wears diapers, and probably always will, requires multiple medications, PLUS, she is constantly working his arms, legs, muscles to keep his strength from slipping away.  Yes, a friend may take her to lunch.  Do you never eat out? Do you know who is paying for her lunch?  I know that it is extremely rare for her to be away from her son for more than 2-3 hours, and the entire time she is gone, she feels guilty and wants to be home.    I don't know what your circumstances in life are, but if your choldren are healthy, I'd suggest that you take the time to thank God that your child isn't laying in that wheel chair and hospital bed, not speaking, responding to you, and throwing up or pooping down both legs DAILY, like hers is.  The fact that a man is riding a bike all that way shows what compassion truly is.  I wonder where your is?  ( and I am by no means related to these people, never met this family and only know what I've read from her, and her mother, that post daily.  She will forever have my sympathy and help, if I can. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:23 PM
I would not ever give a dime to someone not working.
marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:48 PM
First off, you clearly don't pay any attention, his website is designed only for donations and gifts. I'll post a pictures of the big ass donations button for you.
I know the WHOLE story, the complete story. Thank you. Also they were at surf side beach which the houses there range from 6-9,000 a week. Break that number up between 4 families. It's several thousand dollars, plus food, entertainment, ect. To spend even $10 on yourself while asking others to give you money is outrageous. No she shouldn't be tanning, $9 a session 2-3 times a week is almost $1,500 a year. Then the gym hundreds a month on a membership. Her husband doesn't work full time. He rises dirt bikes and is at the pool with them constantly.
And before you run your mouth about my children maybe stop and think, gee maybe people don't always extort their children for money.

My oldest was shot and hit with shrapnel while serving this country. He died twice and they brought him back.
My now 9 year old was thrown from a moving vehicle at 5 and like the little boy here suffered a traumatic brain injury, where she was in a coma for over 4 month, and then spent many months at TBI center getting treatment and now at 9, she is slower than the other kids, it takes her longer to complete task but she finished her first 5k in May of this year.
My 4 year old was just diagnosed with a never before seen genetic mutation that is causing his body to kill itself. We were told he won't live to see age 10.
But I would never ONCE imagine asking anyone for a dime for my children. Especially if I was taking thousands of dollars and throwing them at having a good time while my child was so sick.
Compassion is for those that deserve it, not those who want it to make their lives easier.

Quoting cakepopprincess:

What id relly like to know is this:  WHAT HAPPENED TO THE COMPASSION IN THIS WORLD, or at least finding out the while story  before badmouthing another mother?   I'm sick to my stomach for this mom, and dont know her at all. I  have, however, read their facebook page, from day 1.  I'd like to suggest that the OP do the same, befor passing judgement in the future.   There is not 1 time that that family has asked for money. Not 1. (There was a "Fake profile" set up by some sick-o, asking for donations, etc, but it was NOT THIS FAMILY, and they had Facebook shut it down.). The father works EVERY DAY and the mother had to quit her job to stay home and take care of her 3 year old child that is functioning as a 3-5 month old at this point. She was working full time, and her child was in day care, where this accident happened, ( he was outside playing when a branch from a tree fell, crushing his skull.).   They can not afford a live in nurse.  The trip to the beach was a family vacation..  The WHOLE FAMILY goes. Grandparents, 2 or 3 grown children with their spouses, and multiple children.   They all rent a house, stay in the house and play on the beach. ( sounds like a pretty frugal vacation to me!) and not in Florida, California or another high profile beach resort.   The parents are currently living with their parents, and the  mother is going to the gym to work out and build up her strength so she can carry her child around and be strong enough to pick him up and care for him the rest of his life!   So what, she tans.  This boy does and will need 24/7 medical care, and she is the caregiver.  Every mom needs a break from her children....I know that I do, and my child doesn't require 1/2 as much care as her child will. He takes no food by mouth, is tube fed, wears diapers, and probably always will, requires multiple medications, PLUS, she is constantly working his arms, legs, muscles to keep his strength from slipping away.  Yes, a friend may take her to lunch.  Do you never eat out? Do you know who is paying for her lunch?  I know that it is extremely rare for her to be away from her son for more than 2-3 hours, and the entire time she is gone, she feels guilty and wants to be home.    I don't know what your circumstances in life are, but if your choldren are healthy, I'd suggest that you take the time to thank God that your child isn't laying in that wheel chair and hospital bed, not speaking, responding to you, and throwing up or pooping down both legs DAILY, like hers is.  The fact that a man is riding a bike all that way shows what compassion truly is.  I wonder where your is?  ( and I am by no means related to these people, never met this family and only know what I've read from her, and her mother, that post daily.  She will forever have my sympathy and help, if I can. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Here ya go
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:06 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brelinsmommy
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 10:41 AM
2 moms liked this
Its called getting up off thier asses and get a job
Aubs1990
by Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 10:46 AM
Wow. Thats crazy! If it were my Child I would be doing anything I possibly could to save money up.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)