Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Need help with a picky eater, please!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 31 Replies

Good afternoon all!

My DD is 10 and is extremely picky!  I have tried and tried to encourage her to try new foods, and I cannot get her to.  She only eats 2 vegtables, and she doesn't eat any fruits.  She has tried a few and doesn't like them.  Others she just won't even try.  I have tried to force things on her before, tried the "you won't get up until you clean your plate trick", absolutely no snacking, etc etc.  I have also read articles how forcing a child can cause eating disorders or other emotional problems and that worries me, so I just feel stuck.  I am extremely concerned for her health.  She loves anything dairy, which is great, she is definitely getting calcium!  The only meat she eats is chicken, some fish--but only fish sticks, also popcorn shrimp.  That is it.  Does anyone have any effective advice, tricks, etc that I can try and use.  Please no judgment that I am a bad mother, or that my kid is a brat, I am in serious need of help and would appreciate any advice I can get!  Thank you!!

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 1, 2013 at 3:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goldielox82
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Have you tried sneaking things into other good suck as zucchini brownies etc

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 1, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Not yet, but I did purchase 2 books from Amazon with tons of recipes on sneaking veggies in.  The only thing is she is very "detective" like when it comes to her food, if something is the least bit out of the ordinary, she is all over it! Lol.  But I do plan to try this, it is definitely worth a shot!!

Quoting goldielox82:

Have you tried sneaking things into other good suck as zucchini brownies etc

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 1, 2013 at 5:44 PM

I'm 22 and hate fruit. Is a seed thing. Maybe smoothies made with milk would help? Or maybe puréed fruit that's been strained and mixed into yogurt. As for veggies I know mashed cauliflower tastes just like regular mashed potatoes. Or zucchini or aasparagus breaded lightly in panko- tastes just like French fies. I guess her liking fish and chicken is better than only just eating red meat. I know someone who only eats fries and cheeseburgers. Every day.

oh! If you don't like any food don't say it around her. Lead by example :)

HunnyBabie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:27 PM

I agree with the third reply about leading by example.  It's a famous fact everybody who knows me for more than about 5 minutes knows I absolutely HATE beans!!!  My children know that there are foods I don't like, but I told them for years that I would eat them if they were served to me (I might not eat much, but I'd eat as much as I could reasonably eat).  Sure enough, we had baked beans with something like hotdogs one night for dinner and I had a small serving of beans; I ate every bite.  They were watching like hawks.  Since then, my girls have been much more open to trying foods and to eating foods they don't like.  They used to only eat about a dozen different foods for b-fast, lunch, and dinner all week.

Anyway, let her see you trying new foods.  Try new recipes with ingredients you don't "always" use in them.  Try different methods of cooking.  As parents we can't force our children to know all the things we want them to know, but it is our job to help them learn as much as we can while they're "under our roof". ;)

I think she'll come around enough to have a well rounded diet. (((hugs)))

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Yes, she hates seeds!!!  She will do smoothies, and she is fully aware that there is real fruit in there, she just wants it strained, no seeds.  So yes, smoothies are totally an option, also I can make them with greek yogurt, so that would be added bonus.  She has tasted and even eaten mashed potatoes for me, but she didn't like them.  She hated the texture, it is like she is super sensitive to different textures.  I am honestly not too upset that she doesn't eat red meat, the chicken is probably best for her anyway.  The problem is she doesn't always eat all forms, like she will eat baked chicken, obviously chicken nuggets, but won't try a piece of fried chicken for anything!  She is super picky like that too!

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm 22 and hate fruit. Is a seed thing. Maybe smoothies made with milk would help? Or maybe puréed fruit that's been strained and mixed into yogurt. As for veggies I know mashed cauliflower tastes just like regular mashed potatoes. Or zucchini or aasparagus breaded lightly in panko- tastes just like French fies. I guess her liking fish and chicken is better than only just eating red meat. I know someone who only eats fries and cheeseburgers. Every day.

oh! If you don't like any food don't say it around her. Lead by example :)

ColieO
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:25 PM
Will she even try a couple bites of different foods?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:26 PM

I eat almost anything!  And I will always at least try stuff, I may not love it, but I will try it.  So I am trying to be a good example as far as that goes, her dad, different story!  Extremely picky eater as well!!  So she sees him being selective with food all the time.  Thanks for the hugs, I definitely need them, I just worry so much about her and her health.  I wish she would broaden her horizons.

Quoting HunnyBabie:

I agree with the third reply about leading by example.  It's a famous fact everybody who knows me for more than about 5 minutes knows I absolutely HATE beans!!!  My children know that there are foods I don't like, but I told them for years that I would eat them if they were served to me (I might not eat much, but I'd eat as much as I could reasonably eat).  Sure enough, we had baked beans with something like hotdogs one night for dinner and I had a small serving of beans; I ate every bite.  They were watching like hawks.  Since then, my girls have been much more open to trying foods and to eating foods they don't like.  They used to only eat about a dozen different foods for b-fast, lunch, and dinner all week.

Anyway, let her see you trying new foods.  Try new recipes with ingredients you don't "always" use in them.  Try different methods of cooking.  As parents we can't force our children to know all the things we want them to know, but it is our job to help them learn as much as we can while they're "under our roof". ;)

I think she'll come around enough to have a well rounded diet. (((hugs)))

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Very rarely!  And not without many tears and lots of whining, but she will eventually try a bite or two, but almost everything she tries she has a reason for not liking it.  Sometimes she does like it though.  Like baked chicken breast, she used to only eat it in the nugget or popcorn chicken form, well I baked chicken breasts one night with seasoning on them and she ate it and loved it.   One of her favorite meals so we have that at least once a week because I know she will it eat it up!  But other things she has tried and says she didn't like, for example ham, mashed potatoes, that is all I can think of now.  She honestly seems completely terrified about the thought of trying something new!

Quoting ColieO:

Will she even try a couple bites of different foods?

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:40 PM
I don't eat anything with bones. I love chicken, but I don't eat it fried. I also didn't eat hamburgers until I was about fifteen. Forcing foods can cause issues, it did for me. For veggies you could try a dip, like sour cream or yogurt. And veggies can go in smoothies too, I use flavored yogurt and fruit/fruit juice to disguise the taste for myself. Sometimes I use vegetable juice and lots of fruit to hide the taste. I also like to put veggies in pasta, like shredded carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower. For peas and corn I put them in rice. I don't like eating vegetables by themselves. My sister used to put ketchup on her green beans until she was about 13.
My kids aren't that picky, but I still am.
And potatoes are easy, there's baked potatoes, potato pancakes, fries, and probably more that I just can't think of.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:48 PM

I think it is the bone thing for her too!  It freaks her out!  The dip is a good idea, I can try and push more veggies with a dip, she loves ketchup and I tell her when trying new things just put lots of dip on it, lol!  So that is a good idea.  I have one of those deceptive cookbooks and it has so many recipes of adding veggies to dishes and they are never supposed to detect them, although they are very small amounts, every little bit is good I suppose.  She will eat potatoes in the fry and tater tot, hashbrown form, but those are all processed, I know some people are against processed foods.  I try to introduce and encourage in a positive manner.  I see so many parents talk so badly to their children and even punish them over food and I swore I would never do that.  I just feel it cause so many issues, so many eating disorders.

Quoting polkaspots:

I don't eat anything with bones. I love chicken, but I don't eat it fried. I also didn't eat hamburgers until I was about fifteen. Forcing foods can cause issues, it did for me. For veggies you could try a dip, like sour cream or yogurt. And veggies can go in smoothies too, I use flavored yogurt and fruit/fruit juice to disguise the taste for myself. Sometimes I use vegetable juice and lots of fruit to hide the taste. I also like to put veggies in pasta, like shredded carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower. For peas and corn I put them in rice. I don't like eating vegetables by themselves. My sister used to put ketchup on her green beans until she was about 13.
My kids aren't that picky, but I still am.
And potatoes are easy, there's baked potatoes, potato pancakes, fries, and probably more that I just can't think of.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN