Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Would you cover for your kid?

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:29 PM
  • 14 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you cover for your kid?

Options:

No, that's his/her problem, I got stuff to do

Yes, how long can a boat take and it won't be mentioned again

Yes and me and his father will have it out later big time

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 11

View Results

Scenario: you go to drop off your kid and see all the parents holding projects in their hand and looking proudly. And the teacher approaches you and says "hey mrs or ms so and so, blah blah told me you were helping make a boat, I can't wait to see it" you look at your kid and they are just smiling for ear to ear. And you say "one second" with a smile on your face. You ask him/her and he says he/she gave it to daddy and he said he would take care of it. But his father never mentioned anything to you about a project. Would you tell the teacher the truth even though your son will still fail or do you lie and say "I will be back, it's at the house, I completely forgot" and go and make a boat for your kid?

by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Depends on how old the kid is? If he's old enough to learn a lesson about how, even though daddy says he'd help it's ultimately his project and his responsibility to make sure it gets done, then I'd tell the teacher what happened and let my son accept the consequences. If he's really young, though, I'd probably cover and go make one and take up there. Either way, ex and I would be having a come to Jesus over it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:58 AM
2 moms liked this
Tell the truth. Never covered for my kids.
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this

I would not do it. I would tell the teacher I knew nothing about it.

bzzybeemomof3
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:45 AM
2 moms liked this

Really it depends.

I have covered for my kid on things before, nothing that was school related though. lol

bonitalilmama
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:30 AM

I could imagine the commotion in your house, you would probably flip out on the dad and the kid would be mad and you mad as well lol not a got  day for your all lol

Quoting EireLass:

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this

It's easy for me to say this, because my kids are now in their 30's, so school days are long gone. haha. But I never did any of their school work for them. Part of the lessons in homeschooling (6 yrs) is teaching the kids they are responsible for their work, their progression, etc.

Quoting bonitalilmama:

I could imagine the commotion in your house, you would probably flip out on the dad and the kid would be mad and you mad as well lol not a got  day for your all lol

Quoting EireLass:

Thelmama
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this

No, I would not lie. I would explain it to the teacher, get to the bottom of the situation. Did my kid do what he said and dad forgot or did my kid just forget. It depends on the situation and what really happened as to what I did next. If it is due to no fault of the kid, I'd ask for an extension and explain and then teach the child a valuable lesson about making sure both parents knew about assignments etc. If it is because the kid didn't do what he was supposed to do, then he would suffer the consequences.

aimesnyc
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Why would either parent have to do the kid's project?  I would tell the teacher that there was a misunderstanding at home, that my child would have the project turned in tomorrow, and that I completely understood if he didn't get full points for it or even no points at all. 

That night my child would make that boat.  I might help, but I and/or my husband will not actually do it for him.  I would also talk to my husband, of course, about how he promised to "take care of it" for our child.  We would also talk to our child about doing his own schoolwork.

bonitalilmama
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Homework yeah, but projects people assume you get help from your parents unless you are that darn creative at a young age

Quoting aimesnyc:

Why would either parent have to do the kid's project?  I would tell the teacher that there was a misunderstanding at home, that my child would have the project turned in tomorrow, and that I completely understood if he didn't get full points for it or even no points at all. 

That night my child would make that boat.  I might help, but I and/or my husband will not actually do it for him.  I would also talk to my husband, of course, about how he promised to "take care of it" for our child.  We would also talk to our child about doing his own schoolwork.

bonitalilmama
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Kids at a young age might have a plan on what they want to do but don't know how to do it.. I do agree the parent shouldn't be doing all the work though 

Quoting aimesnyc:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)