Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Do You Think Snuggling Bert & Ernie Magazine Cover Is Totally Inappropriate?

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:33 AM
  • 24 Replies
1 mom liked this

Snuggling Bert & Ernie Magazine Cover Is Totally Inappropriate

by Ericka Sóuter

new yorkerAs expected, with the end of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) came many forms of celebrating the landmark decision. There have been parades through the streets, parties on rooftops. Not to mention, Brad and Angelina just might finally tie the knot now. But no show of support has been as shocking as The New Yorker's new cover. It features a drawing of Bert and Ernie snuggled up together on a couch watching the Supreme Court justices on TV.

I see why they opted for this visual. Whether Bert and Ernie are gay has been a long-running pop culture debate. Still, that doesn't make this an appropriate choice for the magazine to make.

Beloved children's characters should not be sexualized. I don't say this because homosexuality is immoral or wrong in some way. It's not. People should be free to love who they love. Marry who they want to marry. But kid icons from Sesame Street and other programs should not factor into this issue. I think many parents would be just as displeased if Diego was hugged up with Jake (of Never Land Pirates fame). And, again, this is not a moral issue. Kids should be taught there is nothing wrong with being gay. In fact, many of the kids watching these shows already have a playdate pal with two mommies or two daddies.

The reason it's problematic? These figures were created for kids, not adults. And I don't think we should introduce the concept of sexuality -- hetero, homo, or otherwise -- with children's characters. That is not how they view them when they are watching the show. Sex or romantic relationships do not come into play on Nick Jr., Disney Jr., or PBS Kids.

And I don't buy the argument that The New Yorker is for grownups and kids won't see it. Please. Anyone with a child knows they can spot a cartoon, puppet, or anything else remotely fun and playful a mile away. Especially those characters they are familiar with. But any interaction with these characters shouldn't be sexual in nature.

It's wonderful that our children are going to grow up with a new, more inclusive definition of what it means to be a family. It shows that our society has come a long way and we should not hide that from children. But there are more appropriate ways to do that than making Bert and Ernie gay.

What do you think of The New Yorker cover?

by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bzzybeemomof3
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:43 AM

No. lol I dont see why people care about this stuff. lol

Bulldog-Mommy10
by New Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:32 PM
3 moms liked this
They're not being sexual - they're basically hugging. Very easily explained to children, without getting into a sexual conversation. If the kids would even ask, which I doubt, because they hug without thought to gender issues when they're young.

That's... Crazy to me!
mollymae09
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:36 PM
Who cares?? I wouldn't think twice if I saw it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momofmenagerie
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:37 PM
I think to children, It's two best friends ( boys or girls ) curling up to watch a movie together. three to five yr olds of both genders hold hands and hug when they play together. Lame a** adults are the ones making a big deal out if it .
camo.roo
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:37 PM
I don't have a problem with it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Inappropriate. Way to politically correct. Leave kids out.
Oh, I don't care about the ruling one way or the other.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:40 PM
It is message behind it.

Quoting Bulldog-Mommy10:

They're not being sexual - they're basically hugging. Very easily explained to children, without getting into a sexual conversation. If the kids would even ask, which I doubt, because they hug without thought to gender issues when they're young.

That's... Crazy to me!

nurse1997
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:41 PM

NO AND ANY ONE THAT HAS A PROBLEM WITH THIS NEEDS A LIFE !

megz0511
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:42 PM
2 moms liked this
I always thought Bert and Ernie were brothers
poshkat
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:44 PM
1 mom liked this
I see no issue with it. I also don't get why it needs to be legal for gay people to be married. I always thought it was common sense that two people who love each other to get married. I don't see the big issue with two people loving each other no matter what sex they are. It just always made sense to me
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN