Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Wealthy couple sues school over $50,000 finger painting....OMG

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 27 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: Do you think this is a ridiculous law suit?

Options:

yes

no

not sure

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 21

View Results

Seriously, these people need a reality check!!!!!!

Here is the gist, A NYC couple decided to bid with a max of $3,000 for a Kindergartner painting. However, head administrator, had a 1st grade teacher keep the bids going until it reached $50,000 (parents were not at the auction and had someone from the school bid on their behalf.) He has since been let go.

Now, the crazy lawsuit

$415,000 in damages!!!!!!

a. Tuition to a new school- $20,000;
b. Forfeiting deposit paid to Defendant School for the following school year- $5,000;
c. Maintaining the employment of a family driver that is no longer needed due to the relocation- $60,000;
d. Continuing the employment of the family housekeeper that is no longer needed due to the relocation- $1,200 per week

whether the school is at fault or not $500,000 lawsuit is ridiculous.

I would love to be that housekeeper or chauffeur....I need a career change!

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 2, 2013 at 1:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jobseeker
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this

some people are crazy

nurse1997
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:44 PM
1 mom liked this

WTF CAN WE SAY CRAZY !!!

Bradensmommy719
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:49 PM
Oh my
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:51 PM

I would just love to have a fraction of their income. The frivolous law suits we see today. Smh

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:59 PM
I am lost.

Who was biding on what? I don't get what they are mad about
KaylinC03
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:00 PM

They should have sued for the $50,000 and been done with it. Greedy people piss me off.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Jon and Michelle Heinemann are suing the Cathedral School of St. John the Divine for at least $415,000, alleging that the Upper East Side private school forced them to pay $50,000 for the finger painting after a teacher drove up the price at a fund-raising charity auction, the New York Post reported.

The Heinemanns could not attend the auction, but promised the school that they would put in the winning bid for the finger painting as long as the price did not exceed $3,000.

Quoting Anonymous:

I am lost.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:52 PM
They have the right to sue. That is fraudulent on the school behalf.

Quoting Anonymous:

Jon and Michelle Heinemann are suing the Cathedral School of St. John the Divine for at least $415,000, alleging that the Upper East Side private school forced them to pay $50,000 for the finger painting after a teacher drove up the price at a fund-raising charity auction, the New York Post reported.

The Heinemanns could not attend the auction, but promised the school that they would put in the winning bid for the finger painting as long as the price did not exceed $3,000.

Quoting Anonymous:

I am lost.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:53 PM

No one is forcing them to leave the school.  The $5k deposit may stand, but the additional charges are absurd.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:01 PM

but the amount from the "damages" is excessive

Quoting Anonymous:

They have the right to sue. That is fraudulent on the school behalf.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

I am lost.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)