Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Is 18 too young to wed?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 63 Replies

A friend of mine has a daughter whose boyfriend of almost a year just proposed to her. The daughter wants to marry sometime in late October, on or as close to the anniversary of their first date as possible. Her mom is freaking out that she's too young, but she graduated high school last month and is on her way to college.

Do you think 18 is too young to get married?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:46 AM

If she's already graduated and heading off to college, then she's old enough to make her own decisions about marriage.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:50 AM
2 moms liked this
Yes. Odds are against them. Divorce rate is more than 50%. Teen marriage divorce rate is around 80% or higher. They have their whole life to marry. Plus financial difficulties of teens. That causes a lot of divorce is money issues.
Who's paying for college? You marry the gravy train for paying for college stops in our house.
nurse1997
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Nope I married at 18 and still 16 years laters happily married depends on the people, relationship, lots of things factor in but one things for sure they need to be mature adults !

AlekD
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Nope. I married at 19.

Lili0509
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:54 AM

No, I don't think so but it really depends on the person.

CrimsonGrace
by Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:56 AM
IMO, yes it is. I will encourage my kids to wait until at least 23, preferably 25 or older.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:56 AM
My girls are 19 and 22. I would be so upset if either married. They want to wait till mid 20's and have serious boyfriends.
mumamy
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:01 PM

No if they are ready age, statistics or money has nothing to do with it....I was 19. Happily married for 10 years. Our life is amazing.

Teeshann
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:10 PM

i don't. my parents got married at 18 and are still married 34 years later. and doing very well for themselves.

kidlover2
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:12 PM
It depends on many different variables. Maturity and loyalty being a huge one. My sister married her highschool sweetheart at 18 years old and her marriage has lasted longer than mine and I got married at 24.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)